Q. I have spondylolisthesis. Can I plan for pregnancy?

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Feb 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 15, 2019

I am a 25 year old dance fitness instructor. I came to know that I have grade 2 spondylolisthesis of L5-S1. I do not experience severe pain. But, in the case of heavy jerk or periods, it pains in the lower back. I have reduced my activity since I know the issue. Also, I am on regular thyroid medication. Is it fine to plan a baby under such circumstances? Please guide me.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• Your spondylolisthesis will not cause any significant problems for childbirth except pain. The pain that you experience will be slightly more as compared to normal individuals.
  • Do not worry. Please do all heavy activities like dancing under utmost care, but do not lift heavy weights.
  • Let me give you the simple instructions to be followed in case of low back pain.
  1. Avoid lifting heavy weight. Avoid arching your back, instead bend your knees to pick up something from the floor.
  2. Avoid sitting for long hours and improve your posture while sitting. Try to get up from your chair every 20 minutes and take a quick walk around and then continue working. Always sit on a chair with back support.
  3. Avoid two-wheeler ride. Take bed rest in case of severe pain. Do hot fomentations locally over the affected area for at least twice daily.
  4. Do not get up suddenly from a sleeping position. Rather, turn to the side and then get up.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

What is the possible treatment for back pain followed by lifting heavy weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I was sitting half bent while washing the clothes. There were few buckets full of water one over the other. I got my back hurt when I tried to bring one of the buckets down. My body has tilted a bit towards left. I am unable to move and walk. It is paining a lot. Usually after work I do ...  Read Full »

What are the reasons for constant back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old female. I am suffering from mid back pain since two days. I did not take any medicine but applied Moov and Zandu balm. But, there is no relief. The pain remains the same all through the day and night. I neither had an injury nor lifted any heavy objects. I had no surge...  Read Full »

Counseling for Newlyweds

Article Overview: Do not wait until you have a problem to seek marriage counseling. Counseling can help newlyweds with their communication skills, sexual relationship, and much more. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Psychologist Counsellor

Most people enter the marriage life with unrealistic expectations of a dream life influenced by some popular songs and movies. But soon their dreams are shattered and their married life gets ruined before it takes off. Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting married. Howev...  Read Article

Ask a General Practitioner Now