Q. Is it possible to get spotting due to transvaginal scan during pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Spotting In Pregnancy or Implantation Bleeding? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Is it possible to get spotting due to transvaginal scan during pregnancy?

I have a history of recurrent early miscarriage (before seven weeks). Investigations pointed to high autoimmune antibodies and high NK cells. With medication, I conceived naturally and had a successful pregnancy. I am now pregnant again (unplanned) and am 7 weeks + 3. I had some spotting and cramping three days ago. The spotting was light and stopped within a few hours. The cramping continued for another day. Blood hCG levels are rising very well and are currently over 83,000.

A transvaginal scan yesterday showed the heartbeat and we were told all is well. Today, I had some light spotting (dark brown) and discomfort and passed a brown clot. My query is whether this may have been the cause of the spotting the other day, or maybe this was caused by irritation from the TV scan yesterday. I am concerned anyway and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Current medications: Eltoxin, Prednisolone 5 mcg, Clexane. Sarting Intralipids next week to target NK cells.