Q. Is it possible to get spotting due to transvaginal scan during pregnancy?

Published on May 25, 2019

I have a history of recurrent early miscarriage (before seven weeks). Investigations pointed to high autoimmune antibodies and high NK cells. With medication, I conceived naturally and had a successful pregnancy. I am now pregnant again (unplanned) and am 7 weeks + 3. I had some spotting and cramping three days ago. The spotting was light and stopped within a few hours. The cramping continued for another day. Blood hCG levels are rising very well and are currently over 83,000.

A transvaginal scan yesterday showed the heartbeat and we were told all is well. Today, I had some light spotting (dark brown) and discomfort and passed a brown clot. My query is whether this may have been the cause of the spotting the other day, or maybe this was caused by irritation from the TV scan yesterday. I am concerned anyway and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Current medications: Eltoxin, Prednisolone 5 mcg, Clexane. Sarting Intralipids next week to target NK cells.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing?

I understand your concern. From your history, I do not see any reason for you to worry. This spotting could be from mild erosion on surface of the cervix, which may bleed spontaneously or during sex or due to scan probe. In your history as you have not mentioned pain, I can say for sure that there is no intrauterine blood. Scan also did not pick any hemorrhages (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The medications you are having is absolutely the perfect ones. Most of the miscarriages before 12 weeks are due to genetic problems. But in the present scan as baby's growth has been adequate, you do not need to worry. This clot could be an implantation bleed. This is normal and nothing needs to be done.

Is it normal to have spotting randomly every few days after abortion?

Query: Hello doctor,I had an abortion four months back. My period returned seven weeks later and ever since then I have been spotting randomly every few days. I was 13 weeks pregnant at the time of the procedure. Is this normal? If not, what could it be? There are no other symptoms aside from very very lig...  Read Full »

I took two pregnancy tests. One was positive and the other negative. Can you help?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I amhyperthyroidand I havepolycystic ovaries. I had my period for just one day last month. It was very light. I, however, took two pregnancy tests two days ago. The first one read positive and the second, which was taken a few hours after read negative. Could you pleas...  Read Full »

Can brownish discharge after protected sex be implantation bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex. Two weeks later, I had light brownish to light red color discharge that lasted for a day and the next day there was light brownish discharge. Is this implantation bleeding? I am worried. If so, after how days of implantation bleeding can I do blood test or hCG to dete...  Read Full »