Q. I am having spotting randomly every few days after abortion. Please advise.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I had an abortion four months back. My period returned seven weeks later and ever since then I have been spotting randomly every few days. I was 13 weeks pregnant at the time of the procedure. Is this normal? If not, what could it be? There are no other symptoms aside from very very light cramping. Previous history of the same issue: I did have the Nuvaring before I got pregnant and was taken off of it due to an estrogen-induced stroke. I then tried the mini pill. Current medications: Sertraline.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Please ensure if you had a complete abortion or there are still bits of retained products of conception in your uterus by doing a transvaginal scan. Since it was a second-trimester pregnancy, there may be chances of RPOC, which can lead to irregular spotting or bleeding. In such case, you may need a D and C (dilatation and curettage) to get rid of RPOC. Secondly, Sertraline reduced the efficacy of birth control pills, and hence failure rate increases. So ensure to take additional precaution using condoms, if possible.

|