Q. I am having spotting randomly every few days after abortion. Please advise.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Published on Jan 15, 2019

I had an abortion four months back. My period returned seven weeks later and ever since then I have been spotting randomly every few days. I was 13 weeks pregnant at the time of the procedure. Is this normal? If not, what could it be? There are no other symptoms aside from very very light cramping. Previous history of the same issue: I did have the Nuvaring before I got pregnant and was taken off of it due to an estrogen-induced stroke. I then tried the mini pill. Current medications: Sertraline.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Please ensure if you had a complete abortion or there are still bits of retained products of conception in your uterus by doing a transvaginal scan. Since it was a second-trimester pregnancy, there may be chances of RPOC, which can lead to irregular spotting or bleeding. In such case, you may need a D and C (dilatation and curettage) to get rid of RPOC. Secondly, Sertraline reduced the efficacy of birth control pills, and hence failure rate increases. So ensure to take additional precaution using condoms, if possible.

| 

Is spotting due to I-pill or early pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex five month back and took I-pill within 12 to 14 hours. I have done home tests on the sixth and ninth day which were negative. I had brown spotting on the 13th day and some spotting today as well. My last period was ten days before having sex. Is the spotting due to th...  Read Full »

Is the abortion process complete or not?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had an abortion pill. I took Mifepristone tablet first then after 36 hours, I took four tablets of Misoprostol of 200 mcg orally. At first, there was light bleeding during one hour then after some time I had heavy bleeding and it almost soaked two pads and it continued for ...  Read Full »

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full »