Q. Why is there spotting during pregnancy with absence of fetal heartbeat in USG?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

I am eight weeks and three days pregnant. I have been spotting every day for almost two weeks. I have not been bleeding heavy or had any blood clots or tissues. I went for my USG three days back and they were unable to find any heartbeat. Kindly advise if we should still stay positive. I am worried.

#

I have read your concern.

I know you are anxious but to be honest, the likelihood that this will be a miscarriage is very high. By at least six weeks, there should already be a heartbeat on the ultrasound. We usually give at least two more weeks to repeat the scan especially if it is from a spontaneous conception (not an IVF pregnancy) since the exact date of conception is not determined. If you have not had an ultrasound before this then I suggest you have another USG after two weeks. But if the age of gestation was already determined prior to this USG, then it is highly likely that this will result in what we call missed abortion.

|