Q. Why is there spotting during pregnancy with absence of fetal heartbeat in USG?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

I am eight weeks and three days pregnant. I have been spotting every day for almost two weeks. I have not been bleeding heavy or had any blood clots or tissues. I went for my USG three days back and they were unable to find any heartbeat. Kindly advise if we should still stay positive. I am worried.

#

I have read your concern.

I know you are anxious but to be honest, the likelihood that this will be a miscarriage is very high. By at least six weeks, there should already be a heartbeat on the ultrasound. We usually give at least two more weeks to repeat the scan especially if it is from a spontaneous conception (not an IVF pregnancy) since the exact date of conception is not determined. If you have not had an ultrasound before this then I suggest you have another USG after two weeks. But if the age of gestation was already determined prior to this USG, then it is highly likely that this will result in what we call missed abortion.

| 

Why did I not get my periods after having sex for the first time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had intercourse for the first time on 10th without any ejaculation due to pain. Next day, there was bleeding. My periods were due on 13th and I had some clear blood spotting during urination with back pain. But, I did not have periods. I also had some spotting while urination on the 17t...  Read Full »

I took two pregnancy tests. One was positive and the other negative. Can you help?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I amhyperthyroidand I havepolycystic ovaries. I had my period for just one day last month. It was very light. I, however, took two pregnancy tests two days ago. The first one read positive and the second, which was taken a few hours after read negative. Could you pleas...  Read Full »

One of the twins got miscarried. Are my reports worrying?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. 19 weeks and four days pregnant. My LMP was four months ago. Two months back, I had slight bleeding and passing of some brown tissue. I had a scan and the report showed an empty sac with bleeding and no cardiac activity. Another sac was also present with cardiac act...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»