Q. Baby has a heartbeat of 110 bpm. Is there a chance of abortion?Please help.

My wife is 5 weeks and 6 days pregnant. The doctor diagnosed that the baby has a heartbeat of 110 bpm and there is a chance of abortion. Please advise.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If the heartbeat is present, though it is 110 bpm which is less, we cannot definitely say that the heartbeat of the fetus would stop.

But a close follow up and repeat scan is required after a week to keep a watch on the heartbeat of the fetus.

Missed abortion a condition where the dead fetus remains inside the uterus without being expelled from the uterus would ensue once the heartbeat stops.

There are no intrauterine medications to stabilize the heartbeat.

Consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online for further follow up -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thanks for your quick reply doctor.

• I had by mistake mentioned the heartbeat as 110 bpm, but it is actually 115 bpm.
  • What should be the normal heartbeat rate for 5 weeks and 6 days? 
  • I am sure that we cannot predict it, but could you please suggest me, the percentage of chances for surviving this situation.
  • Can my wife go for work? (She has to walk for 30 minutes (up and down) total and 8 hours sitting in front of computer).
  • Is there any precaution that we should take?

Looking forward for your reply.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The normal heart rate is between 140 -160 bpm in a fetus.

The heartbeat of 115 bpm indicates bradycardia (decreased heart rate) which may be because of a probable heart lesion or may have a genetic deformity or may be a mechanical factor.

However, in 30 percent of cases it is seen that the heart beat recovers by 8 weeks of gestation and stabilizes.

So, one needs to keep a watch through ultrasound scan weekly.

It is difficult to predict the outcome in such cases though, but what one can offer is rest to the patient to improve blood supply to the uterus and better oxygenation to the fetus thereby.

Also progestational support may be offered in the form of tablet micronized progesterone 200mg daily at night to prevent any abortion.

She should take rest as per my advise and not exert herself.

Watch for next 2 weeks at least.

The outcome is unpredictable, but efforts have to be put in for the best.

Exertion and stress often are implicated in early abortions, so they have to be taken care of.

Hope this helps.

| 

Fetal ultrasound failed to detect heartbeat. Has the child been aborted?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's last period date was two months ago. After one month, we came to know through blood tests that she is pregnant. She had her first ultrasound 10 days ago and the baby is fine at five weeks and five days with a heartbeat of 114. But for the last three to four days, she saw som...  Read Full »

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full »

Is the abortion process complete or not?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had an abortion pill. I took Mifepristone tablet first then after 36 hours, I took four tablets of Misoprostol of 200 mcg orally. At first, there was light bleeding during one hour then after some time I had heavy bleeding and it almost soaked two pads and it continued for ...  Read Full »