Q. Is there any way to prevent eye damage during radiotherapy for nose cancer?

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2021

I have nose cancer, so I am going to get radiotherapy. The doctor said that the radiation might touch the eye, which may lead to loss of vision and eye removal. Is there any other way to prevent this? Please help.

#

• You have not given enough details, but from what I understand, you need to be given radiation to your nose. With conventional radiation, it is very difficult to save the eye, but we can try computerized radiation like IMRT (intensity-modulated radiation therapy) or VMAT (volumetric-modulated arc therapy) and try to save at least one eye to give good vision.
  • Even with special techniques, it may not be possible to save the eye with 100 % certainty, but at least the chance of the eye being lost is much less than conventional radiation. I do not know if IMRT is available in your country.

For more information consult a radiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiotherapist

|