Q. Is there any way to prevent eye damage during radiotherapy for nose cancer?

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn
Published on Jun 14, 2017

I have nose cancer, so I am going to get radiotherapy. The doctor said that the radiation might touch the eye, which may lead to loss of vision and eye removal. Is there any other way to prevent this? Please help.

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn

Radiation Oncology Radiotherapy
#

• You have not given enough details, but from what I understand, you need to be given radiation to your nose. With conventional radiation, it is very difficult to save the eye, but we can try computerized radiation like IMRT (intensity-modulated radiation therapy) or VMAT (volumetric-modulated arc therapy) and try to save at least one eye to give good vision.
  • Even with special techniques, it may not be possible to save the eye with 100 % certainty, but at least the chance of the eye being lost is much less than conventional radiation. I do not know if IMRT is available in your country.

For more information consult a radiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiotherapist

Cervical Cancer - Causes and Prevention

Article Overview: Estimates suggest that by 2025 more than 365 women will die due to cervical cancer everyday. Cervical cancer is caused by HPV (Human Papilloma Virus ) and mainly affects young women. Read Article

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Trivia: Estimates suggest that by 2025 more than 365 women will die due to cervical cancer every day. Cervical cancer is the second largest cancer affecting women's health. What Causes Cervical Cancer? Cervical cancer is caused by HPV (Human Papilloma Virus ) and mainly affects young women. ...  Read Article

What is causing vision problems in both the eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached the scan reports of my aunt. She is 54 years old, diabetic, and hypertensive. She is on medication to control sugar and BP. She had an eye surgery before one year for some nerve problem in one of her eyes. The reason given by the ophthalmologist was diabetes. Now, her comp...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the files (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a blood clot in the retina of the left eye of your aunt. This is not due to diabetes per say it may be a contributing factor. Here is what she should do: Anti VEGF (vascular...  Read Full

Ask a Radiotherapist Now