I have stable angina with 80 % small and 50 % large artery blockages. Is there cardiac a need for cardiac MRI?

Q. I am under treatment for stable angina. Do I need a cardiac MRI to gain the status of my disease?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I am a 70-year-old male. I am under treatment for stable angina for the past three years. 80 % small artery blockage, and 50 % large in certain areas. I am taking Clopidogrel, Nitrates, Amlodipine, etc., with tiny sublingual Nitro, averaged 25 Nitro pills over three months. Occasional episodes of twinges occur, but then they remit. I feel there is a need for cardiac MRI to gain a current picture or status of my disease. I feel occasional chest tightness and dull pain but I also have acid reflux disease. What could it be?

#

You have stable ischemic heart disease for the last three years. You are taking medicines and want to know about the heart in detail for which you want cardiac MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). You have 50 % blockage in the major coronary artery. As far as your heart condition is concerned, it only needs detailed echocardiography to know the function of left and right side of heart, structures of valves and other structures. MRI is only done in case when comprehensive echocardiography is unable to provide information which cardiologist wants to know. Stable ischemic heart disease is treated with lifestyle modifications and medicines. If signs or symptoms remain stable, these are continued without intervention such as angioplasty or bypass. When symptoms are out of control despite maximum medicines and lifestyle modifications, then revascularization is done. I hope your cardiologist got complete information about your heart from angiography and echocardiography. So there is no need of cardiac MRI. MRI is required when there is congenital heart disease, any infiltrative disease whose complete details are not evident on echocardiography. I am sorry I could not promote your views about having cardiac MRI, yet you may ask your cardiologist to tell you the benefits of cardiac MRI over echocardiography, and then you may ask about undergoing MRI in your case. Remember, in most patients, MRI does not provide any additional information that may aid in planning medicines and treatment plan beyond echocardiography and angiography. I would advise you to adhere to a healthy lifestyle, medications, and follow the advice of your cardiologist. Moreover, you may send your reports to me, so that I may guide you more accordingly.

|