Q. Can I contract STDs from an HIV-positive person?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

I was exposed to HIV positive person as I was the anal receptive partner. In the first week of this month and somewhere in the middle after this, I was exposed twice. I started feeling tired, had body aches and headaches after two days of exposure, then chills the next day, and felt febrile. I was taking daily PreP on all days. I have had several unprotected anal receptive sex in the past two weeks, all with escorts. But this person was the only confirmed positive case. I had his results sent to me two days ago, the tests were performed the last month, and he was positive for HIV and syphilis. He was newly infected and was not on any medications, and he may have more viral load. The sex was brutal with deep ejaculation. Please give your advice on this.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. Suppose you have been initiated on pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) at least seven days earlier than the risk exposure. In that case, the protection rates for receptive anal intercourse are high. These only protect against HIV, not against other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). So, there are possibilities of transmission of syphilis. It would always be better to avoid the risk exposure. At least You can use condoms to prevent other STDs. Anyway, they will follow the HIV and STDs testing protocol in your setting. Usually, you will be screened for HIV and STDs every three months.

I hope this helped.

Thank you for your response.

Is it likely that I had contracted HIV from this person on exposure in the middle week of this month? Because my symptoms started the very next day. I have heard that if the symptoms appear, it is after two weeks. Also, I have been on PreP for two years. I was positive for syphilis for at least six months and was treated, and antibody tests were checked two months ago. What else could it be if it is not HIV? I had body aches, chills and felt feverish. I developed herpes labialis five days after exposure. I have had herpes every six months. My HIV test was negative one month ago. Would you please give me your opinion on this?

#

Yes, even herpes can manifest with fever and body aches. Any infection, viral infection, or HIV can manifest with such symptoms. These are non-specific symptoms.

Thank you for your response.

What about night sweats? I started having night sweats today, and it is only 8 degrees Celsius in my room. I am also sweating under my ankles. Please help.

#

In my opinion, these too can be non-specific or due to any infection.

|