Q. I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?

Due to work, I have been away from my wife for more than two years. I had a few sexual encounters with sex workers here. I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex twice last year, protected oral sex and protected vaginal sex once last year, unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal and anal sex early this year, and protected oral and vaginal sex last month.

I am going to visit home soon and I am very worried about passing on any infection to my wife. During the period of these encounters, I had a severe rash on my chest eight months ago. I have seen a dermatologist and she ordered a blood test and then treated me with two anti-allergic shots. I had this before as well. The skin allergy is a problem I had for years, but usually in the belt area.

I was reading online regarding the potential risk of STDs like herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, HPV, and viral hepatitis. I am really concerned now and want to go for a full test, but this is pretty expensive. So, do I need to get tested considering I did not have any symptoms but the rash I mentioned above?

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, ideally speaking, I feel tests are the need of the hour, as there are unprotected sexual encounters (oral sex) with high-risk individuals (commercial sex workers). Considering the future implications of any infection to your wife, what you might spend for the tests is a small amount.
  • However, considering the clinical history, I feel tests for herpes and syphilis is recommended and others can be left out as none of the other disorders present with a rash. I understand there is a clinical history of rash around belt area, but the recent occurrence of rash makes me believe that the chance possibility should be considered and remedial measures should be taken. So, I recommend getting tested for at least syphilis and herpes so they can be ruled out.
  • Considering the fact that there are no other symptoms, there is little need for other tests.

I hope this answers you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Thank you for the answer. In case of herpes, can I have unprotected sex with my wife if no breakout is noticed or under viral medication? I now read that syphilis is treatable, but herpes cannot be treated. So, this may cause a serious problem for my wife?

#

• Regarding the unprotected sex, in my opinion, it should be avoided as long as there is a confusion about the presence of infection. It is always better to prevent mishappenings rather than taking chances. Principally speaking, the use of protection should be the routine so that there is limited or no risk of transmission of infection.
  • Although I believe in a faithful relationship to sustain the marriage, we need to understand that there are physical needs for everyone irrespective of gender. If a man can deviate from a monogamous relationship due to sexual needs, the same is possible for women and this should be kept in mind when you return home.
  • Regarding syphilis, there is no doubt that this is a treatable illness and there is little to worry about future complications. However, herpes is a viral illness and often difficult to treat which makes me believe that the use of protection should be preferred over unprotected sex. However, I must also inform you that herpes rarely manifests clinically despite the presence of a virus in the body and often it is a mild illness and not a major illness for otherwise healthy individuals.I hope this helps you further. Thanks and regards.

|