Q. What are the chances of STD from my encounter, especially HIV?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
Published on Nov 25, 2017

I was recently in a sexual encounter with a sex worker. It was a condom-protected sex. The condom did not slip or break. But, I inserted my finger into the girl's vagina for two minutes. Is there any chance of catching an STD from the whole thing (the intercourse and the insertion of the finger), especially HIV?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

• Your risk of acquisition of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) in both the instances is unlikely. You can easily relax. Although, I advise all my patients who are sexually active to know their baseline HIV status. There is no harm in that.

Hope your query is answered, but if you have any other questions, please revert. Best wishes.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

So, can I continue to have sex with my wife with no worry of HIV or any other STD?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

• If the condom had been used consistently and correctly and it did not break or slip off, the chances of HIV acquisition is nonexistent. But, if you are not sure about it, you need to undergo the HIV test.
  • Regarding fingering the vagina, it does not generally involve exchange of any body fluids, but if the finger which was inserted had some cuts or fresh lesions at that time, theoretically there can be some risk and if it was a forceful insertion, it can lead to cuts or lesions in the vagina, which can be a source of risk for the subsequent sexual act performed.
  • Therefore, if you are sure about the exposure, HIV or any other STI (sexually transmitted infection) risk is nonexistent. However, if there is a doubt, get yourself tested now (for baseline), get a repeat HIV rapid test at four weeks and if the result is negative get a confirmatory HIV antibody test at three months. This will allay your anxiety and also makes you stress-free for the continuation of sexual life with your wife.

Hope I have answered you, but if there are any more questions, feel free to ask or call anytime. Best wishes.

I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?

Query: Hello doctor,Due to work, I have been away from my wife for more than two years. I had a few sexual encounters with sex workers here. I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex twice last year, protected oral sex and protected vaginal sex once last year, unprotected oral sex and protected ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, ideally speaking, I feel tests are the need of the hour, as there are unprotected sexual encounters (oral sex) with high-risk individuals (commercial sex workers). Considering the future implications of any...  Read Full

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you need to go for fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full

Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is that if one has sex with a partner who has never had sex before, not using a condom, can he or she still get HIV/HPV or any STDS.  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, if you had sex with someone who has never had sex with anyone else before you then you cannot get an STD. STDs are only transmitted from an infected sexual partner. So, if it is the first time sex for someone then obviously that person has never been exposed to S...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now