Q. What are the chances of STD from my encounter, especially HIV?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I was recently in a sexual encounter with a sex worker. It was a condom-protected sex. The condom did not slip or break. But, I inserted my finger into the girl's vagina for two minutes. Is there any chance of catching an STD from the whole thing (the intercourse and the insertion of the finger), especially HIV?

#

• Your risk of acquisition of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) in both the instances is unlikely. You can easily relax. Although, I advise all my patients who are sexually active to know their baseline HIV status. There is no harm in that.

Hope your query is answered, but if you have any other questions, please revert. Best wishes.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

So, can I continue to have sex with my wife with no worry of HIV or any other STD?

#

• If the condom had been used consistently and correctly and it did not break or slip off, the chances of HIV acquisition is nonexistent. But, if you are not sure about it, you need to undergo the HIV test.
  • Regarding fingering the vagina, it does not generally involve exchange of any body fluids, but if the finger which was inserted had some cuts or fresh lesions at that time, theoretically there can be some risk and if it was a forceful insertion, it can lead to cuts or lesions in the vagina, which can be a source of risk for the subsequent sexual act performed.
  • Therefore, if you are sure about the exposure, HIV or any other STI (sexually transmitted infection) risk is nonexistent. However, if there is a doubt, get yourself tested now (for baseline), get a repeat HIV rapid test at four weeks and if the result is negative get a confirmatory HIV antibody test at three months. This will allay your anxiety and also makes you stress-free for the continuation of sexual life with your wife.

Hope I have answered you, but if there are any more questions, feel free to ask or call anytime. Best wishes.

|