Q. What is the risk of getting an STD from a stained bed linen?

Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute
Published on Jul 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

Hello doctor,

I recently had a pap smear done. The bed on which I lay had a stain, which I am assuming was, from the person before me. The doctor had to put a finger inside my vagina to check my ovaries. So, if she mistakenly touched the stain, before inserting her finger into my vagina, am I at a risk of getting an STD, if that stain was from a person with an STD? I do not know if the stain was wet or dry. So, let us assume either.

Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute

#

• You need not worry. Doctors never touch anything with gloved hands before touching you. And, even if she did touch the stain, it is less likely that you will get an STD (sexually transmitted disease).

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I understand that doctors usually do not touch anywhere else with gloved hands, but mistakes can happen. I feel she may have leaned on the bed, with her hand on the stain, and then inserted the finger from that hand into my vagina. Is there absolutely no risk?

Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute

#

• If she has accidentally touched any infectious material, in the case that it is wet and fresh, there is a possibility of an infection. But, if the stains are dry, the chances are very less.
  • The absolute risk can not be ruled out, but believe me, it is very less likely. The HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) does not survive in the external environment for more than 10 minutes. And, the other STDs are treatable. So, you need not worry right now.

I got pap smear done for irregular bleeding. Kindly help me with the reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I had irregular bleeding for eight weeks. Since ten days it is better. Please examine my pap smear report and HPV report. I got it done as there was irregular bleeding. I have PCOD and diabetes. Currently, I am taking Metformin XR 850 mg. Please let me know whether all looks fine.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rakesh Mittal
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they all are fine. I really do not understand why you are worried.  I do not know the reason why you got these tests done in first place. Do you have any symptoms? Your doctor als...  Read Full