Q. I have stomach pain and my stool occult blood test is positive. Is it suspective of STD?

Dr. Noushin Payravi
Published on Nov 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 14, 2019

I had intercourse last year, and I got sick like stomach pain and I lost eight to nine kilograms. I got scared. So I got HIV 1 and 2 tested for five times including hepatitis B and C, all came negative with duration time then, I got stool blood occult test because I got motion and stomach pain for more than eight months. I am feeling better but my stool occult blood test came positive three times, and my throat is a little sore and red for more seven months. I do not have any issues but it is a bit red. Doctor said may be it is due to allergy, but I am tensed, it may be herpes, syphilis or gonorrhea. Is it related to std? Please suggest.

Dr. Noushin Payravi

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I can understand your concern regarding your symptoms. Due to having a history of three positive FOBTs (fecal occult blood test), I strongly recommend undergoing an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy and then colonoscopy to investigate the cause. Your medical history of weight loss and stomach pain could be indicators for a possible underlying pathology such as duodenal ulcer, gastric ulcer, colonic polyps, or colitis. STD (sexually transmitted disease) infections such as herpes, syphilis or gonorrhea are commonly associated with genital lesions and do not result in positive FOBT or stomach symptoms. Please proceed with your endoscopic and colonoscopic evaluation as early as possible.

Endoscopy, Colonoscopy.

Colitis,
Colonic vascular insufficiency,
Gastroduodenal ulcers,
Colonic polyps.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Article Overview: Did you know frequent abdominal cramps, blood in the stool, loss of appetite, and diarrhea can be signs of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)? Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Surgical Gastroenterologist

What Is Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)? Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a group of gastrointestinal disorders that result in chronic inflammation of the alimentary canal or the digestive tract. The digestive tract includes the mouth, esophagus, stomach, small and large intestines. This tract ...  Read Article

I have stomach pain and darker stool. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male, and have stomach pain for around a week (mostly after eating). The pain starts in epigastric regions, and then to lower abdomen. I started noticing changing stool color to more darker stool. There is no diarrhea or vomiting, no fever. I am taking Omeprazole fo...  Read Full »

My urine and stool routine check found occult blood. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, For some days I was burping a lot with burning sensation around the stomach. I went to the doctor and he advised some medicines Vibact DS 1 at night for three days and Torfix 400 three tablets each day for three days. I am better now. Just for a normal checkup without any issues I wen...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now