Q. I have been diagnosed with neonatal GBS at 37 weeks of pregnancy. Will it affect my baby?

Dr. Deepti Kamal
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 06, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jun 09, 2021

Currently, I am 37 weeks pregnant. I have planned to have C-section next week. Today, my doctor diagnosed a neonatal GBS infection inside my vagina. I would like to know about this infection and how can it affect my baby. Can my baby contract it before doing a C-section? What are the risks for my baby? The doctor did not treat the infection and she did not say anything about it. She told me to go back home. Is she doing the right thing? Please help me.

#

GBS (group B streptococcus) infection passes to the baby when the water breaks during the labor. If you have an infection of amniotic fluid or placenta or any high-grade fever or any previous baby with GBS, then antibiotics are given in these cases. In your case, you have planned to have elective LSCS (lower segment cesarean section) and there is no chance to have transmission of infection to the baby as the baby is protected inside the amniotic cavity and there is no need to take antibiotics also. You can go ahead with the cesarean section next week. Everything will be fine.

|