Q. What are the causes of swollen tonsils with white spots on the back of the throat?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I am a mother of a 16 year old boy, who is 5.9 feet tall. He has white spots on the back of his throat along with swollen tonsils. He does not have a fever but finds it hard to swallow. Is this strep infection or what is it? He had the same before, and it was told as thrush.

#

• Yes, it is mostly a streptococcal infection, which is causing the sore throat and all his symptoms.
  • And if your son has a white or yellowish spot, then it is more likely to be a sore throat than an oral thrush, because an oral thrush forms a uniform membrane rather than spots. Fever may not always present.
  • I would suggest some advice for your son to try.
  1. Betadine gargles four times a day for around five days.
  2. Antibiotic capsule Augmentin (Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg three times a day for five days.
  3. Antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast, once a day for five days.
  4. Avoid cold food items. 
  5. Tablet Paracetamol or Ibuprofen for pain, whenever needed.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start medications after their consent. Hope this helps your son and get back if you have any doubts.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|