Q. I have sporadic chest pressure and there is mild ST depression in stress echo. Is it worrisome?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Nov 05, 2019

For many years now, I have sporadic pressure in my chest area, and since I never want to presume it is not heart-related. I usually get it checked out. I do have anxiety and fibromyalgia, so the most likely cause is stress and muscle strain. My last episode was about two weeks ago and after consulting a cardiologist, who suspected it to be muscle-related, I had a stress echo two days ago to make sure.

I am attaching a copy of the report as well as the copy of my last stress test. The current cardiologist told me that the report looks great with a strong heart muscle and no ischemia.

Since I tend to over analyze things, I read the report and it mentions a Duke Treadmill score of 2.5 due to ST depression of 1 mm. I have been told that I have a baseline ST depression forever, and it was present back in my last stress test. I asked the cardiologists about it via a message on my portal and the response was that it is nothing to worry about, and it is not diagnostic. Would you agree that there is nothing worrisome?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I studied through your test results there is absolutely nothing that indicates any serious abnormality. The slight change recorded is not of much significance. From my experience as a physician I frequently see slight variations in test results that are not indicative of any abnormality.

Has there been a change in the way you feel if recent? Did you had any medication in regards to this? Do you have a family history of heart disease? Do you have diabetes or high blood pressure? Any history of stomach ulcer? Do you smoke or drink?

There is no change in how I feel and the chest pressure has subsided. I walk three miles a day with no fatigue or shortness of breath. I do not have diabetes and never smoked and do not drink alcohol. I do have high blood pressure controlled on medication and borderline high cholesterol. I realize I am overweight and need to work on my weight. I am a stress eater.

My father passed from cardiac arrest at the age of 74. He was a chain smoker and had a heart attack and triple bypass ten years before his death. My mom passed from an intestinal blockage at the age of 84. She had CHF and aortic stenosis. She was also a heavy smoker.

So overall, do you feel it is a favorable report? Is there any need to worry about that ST depression and Duke stress test score, given I have had the ST depression at baseline for probably my whole life?

My cardiologist felt that there is no need for further testing or follow. Would you agree?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

Although there is a family history of heart disease, in your case it is not a cause for worry. Since you do not experience shortness of breath, or chest pain with exercise it is good. You do not need further testing at this moment, there is no indication.

This is what I want you to do. Because of your family history of heart disease and for the fact that you are overweight with a history of high blood pressure,

1. Try to lose more weight at least three to four kilograms in a month by dieting and continuing with your walk.

2. Make sure to check your blood pressure three to four days a week.

3. Do random blood sugar test, lipid profile, ECG (electrocardiography) twice a year as a routine to monitor your cardiovascular health.

Generally, I agree with your cardiologist that there is absolutely no need for further testing. If you are able to lose a few more kilograms, your heart discomfort will get better. It is very common for overweight people to have a feeling of chest discomfort. I am positive that you will be fine.

Is cough with chest congestion something to worry about?

Query: Hello doctor,My mom had cough and cold which continued for a week. We conducted X-ray which indicated too much cough congestion in the chest and TLC count was 18K. One day, due to too much cough she vomited, and she was injected with a medicine to stop it and it worked. Next day, we went abroad for ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not a viral infection but a bacterial infection as her TLC has increased. Also, diabetic patients are prone to such infection. Treatment is antibiotics, which she has been started by her physician. In most patients, this resolves with a week. Continue other me...  Read Full

Suffering from cold, chest congestion and sore throat. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old male who is overweight. Other than being overweight, I am in relatively good health.  I am getting regular health checkup for every six months. Currently, I am taking Triamterene and HCTZ and Simvastatin 20 mg. Recently, I had cold, some respiratory discomfort, c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your message. The symptoms of the query are quite suggestive of a possible upper respiratory tract infection. I would suggest you to get an x-ray paranasal (PNS) waters' view and x-ray chest PA (posteroanterior) view. Also, get a complete blood count (CBC). Me...  Read Full

Do my echo and stress echo show any heart problem?

Query: Hi doctor,I had chest pain, dizziness, palpitations and shortness of breath. I got an echo and a stress echo. I am worried about the results. I have attached the results here. I played soccer almost every day for about a year until three months back where I started getting palpitations. I have done ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your cardiac workup is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it does not look like a cardiac problem. What is your age? Does chest pain occur at exertion or rest? Does it increase on deep breathing at any particular site on the chest or on ...  Read Full