Q. What could be the cause for strong and fast heartbeats with difficulty in breathing?

Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am 31-years-old male and a heavy smoker. I usually have some problems with GERD, but when I take Nexium, I feel I am suffering recently from the following symptoms. During my day, around two times, I got episodes of the following while resting.

1. Strong heartbeats.

2. Accelerated heartbeats.

3. Feeling my stomach blow.

4. Difficulty in breathing.

5. Sweating.

The episodes last for might be two minutes.

I have visited a cardiologist, and I made the following analysis,

1. Thyroid hormones.

2. CBC.

3. Urine.

4. ECG and stress ECG.

5. Holter for 24 hours.

6. Chest X-ray.

7. Breathing test.

All measures are normal except high cholesterol and LDL. Now the episodes come maybe once every couple of days. I do not know what is the reason could be?

.

Do you have a question on Difficulty In Breathing or Sweating?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede

MBBS., DNB MEDICINE., DNB CARDIOLOGY
Cardiology

You should curtail your smoking which is the reason for the increase in cholesterol as well as increasing your heart rate your heart and must be going very high due to stimulation of the heart by the nicotine and hydrocarbons limited by smoke the possibility of infrequent supramental arrhythmias cannot be ruled out by the test you had done. You have to do ECG immediately once you have the episode or will need a loop recorder or event recorder for the diagnosis of arrhythmia if the incidents are recurrent.

Also Read Answers From: Difficulty In Breathing Sweating

Does excessive sweating occur due to alcohol withdrawal?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36-year-old male. I was a daily drinker of hard alcohol for the past four years. I am in depression and anxiety. I consulted a doctor. The doctor gave me Zoloft and Propranolol. Before few days, I have removed a large ganglion cyst from my right wrist. I made a step to stop the ha...  Read Full »
Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your problem, and I can understand your concern. Yes, these symptoms are due to alcohol withdrawal. As you have stopped drinking alcohol, you can have these symptoms along with other symptoms such as tremor, palpitations, anxiety, and other severe wi...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with bronchitis in ER. Is it the correct diagnosis?
Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with bronchitis today in the emergency room. I felt very weak and had difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor's appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. I have attached my reports. Do you se...  Read Full »
Dr. Suneel Mukati
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your present and past history, it could be allergic rhinitis with bronchial asthma if rhonchi present on auscultation. it could be bronchitis in which rhonchi may or may not be present. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect pati...  Read Full »

How can rashes coupled with severe itching on the legs and arms be treated?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35-year-old female and I have rashes on my legs, arms, and armpits with severe itching. I have no fever or difficulty breathing. I have had allergies but never this serious. I am currently on Allegra, Zentel, Xevor, and Moisturex. It has gotten worse in the last three days. P...  Read Full »
Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think right now you are having an urticarial rash. I suggest you take tablet Cetirizine 10 mg at night for seven days. This may induce sleep but there is nothing to worry about that. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines wi...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now