Q. I am unable to sleep at night because of stress. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2019

My father and my grandmother died within 3 months. After they expired, I started to face many issues like LIC claim and others. Due to too much stress, I am unable to sleep at night properly and feel sleepy in the morning. Because of this reason, I am unable to concentrate on my work. I am working in software industry. Due to the issue I am facing, I am not able to complete the tasks on time and going through a lot of problems. I am also suffering from body pain. Presently, I am on Zincovit multivitamin tablet. Thank you.

#

I feel sorry for your loss. Your problems are stress, unable to sleep at night and body pain. So, basically it is your stress that is leading to other problems.

Stress can be managed both by medication as well as by lifestyle modifications (behavior therapy). First, try lifestyle modifications which include:

1. Drink plenty of water. Whenever you sit idle, make it a practice to take deep breaths.
  2. Include one tomato in your diet daily. Add Omega 3 fatty acid supplements.
  3. Exercise outdoor regularly. Exercise will help to release endorphins, which will lift the mood and activity levels.
  4. Breathing for relaxation - Inhaling and exhaling exercise or yoga.
  5. Take diets rich in protein , carbohydrates and low in fats. Increase the intake of walnuts, hazelnut, flax seeds in diet. These diets are known to be a rich source of omega fatty acids.

Also, proper sleep hygiene needs to be practiced daily, so as to help you to maintain good sleep in the long run. Sleep hygiene entails following important points.

1. Adhering to a fixed sleep in and wake up time. Wearing loose cotton clothes at night for sleeping.
  2. Keeping the room dimly lit and well ventilated. Changing room or bed temporarily.
  3. Avoiding stimulant substances in the late evening or night such as coffee, tea, etc., and also avoid watching television or listening to music late at night.
  4. Avoid eating heavy, oil rich, fried meals late in the evening and at night. Take small frequent meals at regular intervals and dinner at 8 PM with good time interval between dinner and sleeping.
  5. A warm cup of hot milk15 minutes before going to bed can help in good sleep.

These lifestyle modifications will help in improvement of symptoms and you will feel better. If symptoms persist even after lifestyle changes, then visit a psychiatrist. Drugs like Modafinil or Armodafinil will help to maintain daytime alertness and will reduce fatigue. Visit a psychiatrist for proper prescription of this drug.

I have body pain also. Sometimes, if I walk, I get deep breathing. Will Omega capsule solve those issues?

#

Thank you for your feedback.

Omega 3 capsule will not help to reduce pain. You get deep breathing on long walks and have body pain which can be due to.

1. Low hemoglobin or anemia.
  2. Vitamin D deficiency.
  3. Thyroid disorders.

I would suggest you to have blood test done, to rule out anemia first, which is most likely in your case. Further treatment will depend on the cause.

|