Q. I feel stressed due to broken relationship. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 20, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 21, 2019

I stress and overthink a lot, and after my breakup and I am facing this for a year. I am hardly able to concentrate I am always involved in thinking about my past. The guy always tries to defame me and speak rubbish about me, I being an introvert I am unable to talk to a lot of people and he takes advantage.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

1. It is common to feel stressed following a break-up in any relationship. Usually one gets better with time, but you are reporting the ongoing stressful situation. It will get better with support.

2. Have you spoken about your difficult situation with any family member or friends? Try to open up and have an honest discussion with a trusted person who can understand and support you.

3. It does not help that the ex-guy is trying to defame you. Try to ignore him and see whether his actions die off. Block his contacts. Try to stay off social media for some time until everything calms down. If he continues to harass you, try to warn him formally. Take help from family and friends instead of handling it alone.

4. Try not to worry about the current stressful situation. You will come out of it as a wiser person. Try to stay positive. Focus on long term goals. Try to exercise regularly to help you to relax. Distract yourself by listening to your favorite music, watching TV, movies, etc.

5. If you are continuing to feel emotionally distressed, you can consult your doctor for further assessment and support. I hope this helps.

| 

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full »

How to Identify Psychological Abuse?

Article Overview: Among various forms of abuse, the type of abuse which seems least discussed is psychological abuse. Psychological abuse can also be termed as emotional abuse. We often overlook this abuse and let others decide the course of our lives and continue to tolerate other's bad behavior in the name of love. But, to all my readers, love is not only about one person. Learn to recognize the signs of abuse and do not let others do it to you. Read Article

Dr. Vandana Patidar
Psychologist Counsellor

Overview Among various forms of abuse, the type of abuse which seems least discussed is psychological abuse. Psychological abuse can also be termed as emotional abuse. We often see people stuck in an unhealthy and difficult relationship. We wonder why one should continue in such a relationship, but...  Read Article

Thoughts about my breakup haunt me and I feel lonely. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am feeling alone in life. I came to work abroad and fortunately got a job at a clothes shop and running it for a year. But, I have not been able to save to help my family. I feel weak and no proper food I am eating. I do not want to deal with customers at the shop. My past breakup ...  Read Full »