Q. Why am I getting petechiae after work out?

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

I am 21 years old. Recently my GP asked for my blood work and I was tested for iron and vitamin D. My iron was fine. I had way too little vitamin D, however the doctor gave me vitamin D supplements. Right after I started taking the supplement, I got a cold and it lasted for two weeks. Later I got a UTI and then I got cold sores on my lip. Two days ago, I worked out for the first time after a long time. I also did some pushups, pull-ups, etc. Right after the work out, I got petechiae. They did not vary in color when I press them. They did not hurt. This has happened in the past, but only after workouts. They disappear in a day or two and now they were almost gone. I never worried about this, but since I also got sick, I am worried whether I have got leukemia. My mother's half sister had leukemia when she was a little kid. She is fine now. If there is something seriously wrong with me, would that have been visible a couple weeks ago when they took my blood? Is that something they always test for? I realize vitamin D deficiency lowers your immune system. I am a bit hypochondriac. Otherwise, I feel fine. Please help.

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• I can understand your dilemma. Family history and suspicious lesion can be difficult.
  • Vitamin D deficiency is common nowadays due to reduced sun exposure. However, boosters would have helped. Avoid any further boosters as vitamin D toxicity can sometimes occur.
  • The lesions in arms due to exercise appears to be a sort of stretch marks due to elastic stretching of blood vessels below, which is known to occur commonly. They are not petechiae, as they are not red dots.
  • As the platelet count are normal, there is no possibility of petechiae or leukemia.
  • Not to worry about the marks, they are normal during exercises, especially around the shoulders. Complete blood count is normal, hence no leukemia. Usually when cancer occurs in the family, either it occurs around the same age or else no possibility. Not to worry. Maintain good hydration.

For further information consult a hematologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|