Q. Can right-sided facial numbness be due to a stroke on the left side of the brain?

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

If the stroke has occurred in the left side of the brain, we know the patient's right side of the body would be weak and numb. But when the patient's right side of the face is also numb, is this also because of the stroke on the left side of the brain? 

#

• Strokes on the left side of the brain will cause weakness in the right side of the body and right facial weakness.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I would like to add that I had a vascular ultrasound and I am trying to understand which artery would be stenotic. The ICA feeds the brain. So I am confused about the face numbness. Please help.

#

• The middle cerebral artery branch of ICA (internal carotid artery) can cause cortical and subcortical strokes leading to hemibody and hemiface numbness involving the somatosensory cortex in the parietal cortex.
  • Also, the posterior cerebral artery supplying the left thalamus can cause pure sensory stroke in the right hemibody and hemiface.

|