Q. Can right-sided facial numbness be due to a stroke on the left side of the brain?

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal
Published on Nov 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

If the stroke has occurred in the left side of the brain, we know the patient's right side of the body would be weak and numb. But when the patient's right side of the face is also numb, is this also because of the stroke on the left side of the brain? 

#

• Strokes on the left side of the brain will cause weakness in the right side of the body and right facial weakness.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I would like to add that I had a vascular ultrasound and I am trying to understand which artery would be stenotic. The ICA feeds the brain. So I am confused about the face numbness. Please help.

#

• The middle cerebral artery branch of ICA (internal carotid artery) can cause cortical and subcortical strokes leading to hemibody and hemiface numbness involving the somatosensory cortex in the parietal cortex.
  • Also, the posterior cerebral artery supplying the left thalamus can cause pure sensory stroke in the right hemibody and hemiface.

My eye looks drooped even after surgery for orbital floor fracture. When will it be fine?

Query: Hello doctor, I had got assaulted last year. I got kicked in the face and due to this two weeks after my injury, I had to have a tripod put on the left side of my face. Two weeks after that my eye was drooped and had to have the floor of my eye orbital replaced. The surgeon said my eye was pushed b...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. I will attempt to answer individual parts of your query separately to maintain clarity. Starting with appearance, yes it is a gradual process of normalization and it will get better with time. First-year produces most of that improvem...  Read Full

I had two episodes of high BP and fall. Am I at the risk of stroke?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a stroke two weeks ago. Today morning, when I got up off the table, I nearly fell twice and had trouble speaking. My BP was 220/110 mmHg. They took me to ER and the telemetry unit. I got an MRI with contrast this morning. Am I having a stroke?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query with keen interest and understand your concerns. The onset of problems in the early morning, blood pressure in a range which can cause stroke and difficulty in speaking along with two falls point towards the high possibility of stroke. The ...  Read Full