Q. I have frequent and recurring stye problem. Please advise.

Dr. Dada Peer K
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have frequent and recurring stye problem. Please advise.

#

• Stye is an infective condition of the glands of the eyelids. This is caused by infection with common bacteria like staphylococci.
  • The treatment is mainly by the use of antibiotic eye drops and oral anti-inflammatory drugs.
  • Use of hot compression will provide symptomatic relief.
  • The common causes that need to be ruled out in recurrent stye are, exposure to dust, smoke where there is more chance of infection, frequent rubbing of the eyes with fingers, uncorrected refractive error, general problems like decreased immunity and diabetes.
  • Hence, I advise you to look for these common problems and avoid things like exposure to dust and smoke by wearing protective glasses, and avoid rubbing of the eyes.
  • Washing of the face with clean water and maintaining facial hygiene will be of great help.
  • Healthy diet is very important in preventing frequent infections as consumption of sugar rich diet leads to recurrent infections.
  • Hence, I advise you to consume healthy balanced diet rich in proteins and avoid sugar and sweets.
  • A complete course of antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice a day for 5-7 days will eradicate the bacteria and prevent further recurrences.
  • Inspite of all this, if you are having recurring stye then a few tests like blood sugar level to rule out diabetes, vision testing of the eyes to rule out refractive error have to be done.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Revert back to an eyecare ophthalmologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|