Q. Is it difficult to treat subclinical hyperthyroidism?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Oct 11, 2018

I am 27 years old, and I have multiple symptoms including nervousness, anxiety and weight loss. These symptoms are troubling me a lot. I experience extreme nervousness, even when I do not have any emotional struggles. I have a feeling of having a fast heartbeat. At the age of 16, my blood report showed me a result of subclinical hyperthyroidism. I have done breast surgery. Due to my health concern, I always have my blood tested for thyroid.

Before eight months, I also had done a Holter monitor, which showed my heart palpitations. On my final blood test, my thyroid results came normal. But still, I have the symptoms. I am trying for a baby. But I heard an issue that underlying or undiagnosed thyroid issue could become a terrible one during pregnancy. Do I need to consult an endocrinologist soon? Do these fluctuations are common in hyperthyroidism?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I have gone through the query. It appears that you have had subclinical hyperthyroidism. This condition needs regular follow up tests and consult an endocrinologist even if you are not undergoing treatment for hyperthyroidism. If you plan for pregnancy, then it is necessary to have a constant follow-up with an endocrinologist before and during pregnancy. Yes, fluctuations in thyroid function test are common.

I am getting severe panic attacks without any reason. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. Recently, I had a breakup. Currently, I do not have a job and so, mentally I am feeling insecure. I am getting severe panic attacks for no reason. Even, I do not want to go out of my room. I feel sleepy all the time. Whenever I go out, I feel that I am going to...  Read Full »

My period is irregular, heavy and prolonged. What are the cause and solution?

Query: Hello doctor, My period has become irregular to about three times a year and it has become heavy and prolonged, lasting more than two weeks unless stopped with drugs. I have done several ultrasound scans without seeing the cause except on one occasion of PID. I got treated still no improvement. Wha...  Read Full »

I am 9 months pregnant, and my total T3 is 208.57. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 9 months pregnant, and I have some doubts with my recent free T3, T4, and TSH levels. My Triiodothyronine total (T3) is 208.57. What is it? Is it something to worry or is it normal? My TSH is under control, and it is 2.63 now.  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now