Q. My period is irregular, heavy and prolonged. What are the cause and solution?

Answered by Dr. Uzma Arqam and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.


Do you have a question on Irregular Periods or Heavy Bleeding? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hello doctor,

My period has become irregular to about three times a year and it has become heavy and prolonged, lasting more than two weeks unless stopped with drugs. I have done several ultrasound scans without seeing the cause except on one occasion of PID. I got treated still no improvement. What are the cause and solution? Please help. I once had a surgery four years back. The doctor diagnosed corpus hemorrhage, do not know if it is related to this. I used to take Tranexamic acid with one other tablet to stop the bleeding.

Related Questions:
Suffering from irregular periods and not conceiving. What to do?
I am facing irregular periods from one year. Tell me some ayurvedic remedies.
What are the causes of prolonged periods and pain after taking birth control pill?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It is better to have detailed investigations like a cervical smear, detailed outpatient hysteroscopic examination, thyroid function test, complete blood count, etc. Start iron supplements immediately and have a diet containing iron like apples and carrots. If you have been experiencing any health issue better to have a full check on it and treatment as well. Collect all laboratory reports and discuss with gynecologist here or local. For bleeding have tablet Ponstan (Mefenemic acid) and tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg eight hourly from day two to day five or total five days. Start tablet Norethisterone 10 mg twice daily from day 5 to day 24 for three cycles to regulate cycle and reduce bleeding. Local examination (hysteroscopic) can exclude cervical or endometrial polyp or any other local pathology.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

Does taking Krimson cause heavy bleeding?
Query: Hello doctor,I have PCOS and I visited a dermatologist for acne and hirsutism profile. She suggested me Krimson 35 for 21 days and Aldactone 50 for three months. I am on my fourth day of my periods and my bleeding had reduced but when I consumed Krimson 35 before going to sleep my bleeding increased...  Read Full »
Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Krimson is an Estrogen-Progesterone medicine. It requires some time to balance your hormones. Relax, do not worry about the bleeding until it is heavy like changing pads often like two hours. Instead, clitoris stimulation may have caused some mild uterine contraction, a...  Read Full »
I am facing irregular periods from one year. Tell me some ayurvedic remedies.
Query: Hello doctor, I am facing irregular periods problem from one year (since I took I-pill). I took I-pill in fear of getting pregnant although I did not have sex till now. I am still a virgin, but physically active with my boyfriend. I am putting on weight due to irregular periods and stomach disturba...  Read Full »
Dr. Alka
Ayurveda Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. You should not take I-pill if you did not have intercourse. Because, it is a hormonal pill and can cause hormonal imbalance. As far as current medicines are concerned, they are good. Keep on taking them. Along with that, take tablet Raja prav...  Read Full »
I am having prolongd periods. Can bar insertion in arm be the cause?
Query: Hello doctor, I have recently had the bar inserted in my arm and have had side effects weeks after. I was wondering if these side effects are normal or are something to look into going to the doctors for. For two weeks, my period has not stopped, with the past week my flow has been fairly light and...  Read Full »
Dr. Parth R Goswami
Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having a continuous bleeding problem. For that, you need to find any underlying specific cause, if present. It is advisable to investigate with USG pelvis and pelvic examination for primary work up. If all comes normal then investigate further with serum FSH, LH...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Is it possible to cure my respiratory allergy and throat infection with some medicine?
Hi doctor, I am suffering from nose block, throat pain, fever, occasional running nose, and headache. I am taking Nasaf ...Read more »
Can inhaling enamel paint residual fumes cause health issues?
Hello doctor, I (66 years, 145 lbs) am using a can of enamel paint in my basement. Total of 1 to 2 minutes. Had a mask ...Read more »
Arthritis in Its Many Forms
Arthritis is defined as the inflammation of a joint. There are various types of arthritis and despite their similarities ...Read more »

Also Read Answers From