Q. My daughter's eye was poked with an umbrella. What to do?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

My 4-year-old daughter got poked in the eye with an umbrella, and now that seems to have a scratch around her lacrimal caruncle. She is not complaining about pain, and her eye is not watering anymore.

#

The red areas on the photo look like subconjunctival hemorrhage. These are benign lesions in which a little blood has collected in the empty space just under the conjunctiva. To get rid of this condition you need to ice the affected eye (ask your daughter to close her eye and apply ice in a plastic bag or clean cloth over the closed eye for about 10 to 20 minutes). It goes away on its own in a week or so. You need to take your daughter to an ophthalmologist in case, 1. She has a drop in her vision. 2. The redness is persistent or increasing. 3. She has pain in her eye or pain on looking from side to side (moving her eyes). Hope this helps you.

|