Q. Why did I suddenly develop a blood clot around my right eyeball?

Dr. Asha Barboza
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 09, 2021

Suddenly, I got a blood clot around my right eyeball. But I am unable to figure out the cause. I went to the hospital today. Due to strict protocols, I am unable to consult the doctor. Please give some advice. How to cure the condition? The red thing in my eyes was on the right corner but now it is getting spread.

#

According to the description, it seems like a subconjunctival hemorrhage. It can occur due to trauma, high blood pressure, intake of blood thinners, and due to increased bleeding and clotting time. You have not mentioned your age and please mention whether you are taking any medications. You need to do investigations if it recurs again. It takes a week or ten days to get disappear. If the clot is present on the top of the eyes, then it seems to be increasing and it moves downwards with gravity and gradually a change in color occurs when it gets absorbed. If it is bulging upwards from the conjunctiva, then nothing needs to be done. Take vitamin C supplements one tablet daily for two weeks. If it seems to be bulging, then put some gentle pressure by closing your eyes with a handkerchief for few seconds at a time of two minutes.

|