HomeAnswersOphthalmology (Eye Care)subconjunctival hemorrhageWhat causes a sudden blood clot to appear around the eyeball?

Why did I suddenly develop a blood clot around my right eyeball?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At September 7, 2020
Reviewed AtJuly 30, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Suddenly, I got a blood clot around my right eyeball. But I am unable to figure out the cause. I went to the hospital today. Due to strict protocols, I am unable to consult the doctor. Please give some advice. How to cure the condition? The red thing in my eyes was on the right corner but now it is getting spread.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

According to the description, it seems like a subconjunctival hemorrhage. It can occur due to trauma, high blood pressure, intake of blood thinners, and due to increased bleeding and clotting time. You have not mentioned your age and please mention whether you are taking any medications. You need to do investigations if it recurs again. It takes a week or ten days to get disappear. If the clot is present on the top of the eyes, then it seems to be increasing and it moves downwards with gravity and gradually a change in color occurs when it gets absorbed. If it is bulging upwards from the conjunctiva, then nothing needs to be done. Take vitamin C supplements one tablet daily for two weeks. If it seems to be bulging, then put some gentle pressure by closing your eyes with a handkerchief for few seconds at a time of two minutes.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Asha Juliet Barboza
Dr. Asha Juliet Barboza

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy