Q. I believe I have chlamydia prostatitis. Please suggest a treatment.

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Published on Jul 28, 2018

I believe I have chlamydia prostatitis. Six months ago, I started showing signs of prostatitis. I had a hard time urinating fully, I had pain and burning, fever, clear discharge. I was put on eight weeks Cipro. My body did not respond well to the Cipro. I stopped and had a chance to see another urologist. He did prostate check and urine and semen sample. Found nothing. No bacteria. He stuck a camera in my bladder and found no bacteria. I was given Flomax for two months and my symptoms went away. Recently, six weeks ago, I got chlamydia. I was given 1.5 grams Azithromycin taken over two days. Seven days after, I was re-tested and no more chlamydia. Then four weeks ago, I started to feel prostatitis symptoms show up again. Inflamed urethra and frequent urination with tenderness. I was given Pirinum by a doctor at my work to try to flush out any bacteria. The pain and inflammation went down but it is still constant. I believe after research I have chlamydia prostatitis and cannot go to a urologist at this time because of being in a remote country working.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

I need to know a few more details to answer your query better:

1. Did you have any fever with your symptoms?
  2. Where is your pain mostly, near your anal region or along the urethra?
  3. What side effects did you have on taking Ciprofloxacin?

If your symptoms are similar to your previous attack of prostatitis then the treatment would be antibiotics for at least four weeks and Flomax. Ciplox would be the best choice but if you do not tolerate it, you can take Cephalosporin.

Usually in prostatitis, we do not see bacteria in the urine, so that does not rule out prostatitis.

Revert with more information to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

I only had fever with chlamydia. Not recently with prostatitis. Pain in the urethra. Tip of penis tender. Cirpro made my joints and tenants extremely bad. I believe the chlamydia is part of this and the research I have done suggests Azithromycin 4.5 g over three weeks.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

Your lack of fever implies a chronic prostatic infection with urethritis. Did you develop a chlamydial infection after sexual contact or was it spontaneous?

Azithromycin over three weeks also is an effective alternative, in chlamydial infections.

If it was due to sexual contact, it would be advisable to treat your partner too and also use some barrier protection (condoms) for the duration of your treatment.

I would also like to add an anti-inflammatory drug to help alleviate your symptoms.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

What to take for pain when urinating after sex?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a girl, age 20. I had sex four days before, but from that date, I am continuously feeling pain during urination and getting urine out very frequently. Please tell me if that is a serious issue. How to get out of this pain?  Read Full »

I have forceful urination with itching and burning in penis, urethra and anus. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old and suffering from forceful urination and urine direction is towards the left side. I do have itching, burning feeling in urethra, anus, and penis. I have been prescribed Afzoo, Kcit and Cranpac D. That does not seem to be working. I think my symptoms match with urethri...  Read Full »