Q. What can the red spots on back of hands that resemble bruising be?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

There are red spots on the back of my hands, close to the thumbs. I do not feel any itching, pain or any other unusual conditions. It is just redness. It is present under the skin and looks like bruising. I do not know if it is caused by sun exposure or something else. I first noticed it three months back. At present I am taking Vitamin B complex tablet and vitamin C tablet. Please help.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I have examined your photographs (attachments removed to protect patient identity) and your history details.

• From deeper observation, this seems to have been due to coming in contact with some irritant substance which in the presence of ultraviolet radiation from sun has caused this picture.
  • Most of the patients of this type in my clinic respond very well to the following steps.
  1. Keep the area clean, wash frequently, and keep it covered if possible.
  2. Use a combination of antibiotic and steroid cream like Flutibact (Fluticasone).
  3. Anti-allergics like Levocetirizine should be used to resolve the lesions faster.
  4. Observe for any symptoms or change in extent and color.
  • It might take a week or so for recovery but the cause for the same needs to be identified by observation and then eliminated from environment at home or work.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|