Q. Why does my 3. 5 year old daughter have an extra set of teeth erupting behind her molars?

Dr. Honey Nandwani
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 23, 2021

My 3.5 year old daughter, has all 20 teeth. She recently got sick with four days of fever. Then, she suddenly said that her teeth hurt. She does not seem to have intense pain, and is happy and playing. But, when I asked her to point to where it hurt, she pointed on both side at the back of her mouth, behind her molars. I looked with a flashlight and saw some new teeth erupting behind her molars. My mother in law, who is a registered nurse, agrees that they look like tooth buds. I got a dental appointment for next month, but I am confused. I cannot find any information on extra teeth in toddlers, in particular on both sides of the mouth. Is this possible?

#

• An extra set of teeth or supernumerary teeth in toddlers is a rare finding, with less than 1% occurrence. And, that too near the molar is very rare.
  • It can be a rare case of deciduous supernumerary teeth or an early eruption of a permanent molar tooth. Although it is too soon for the eruption, exceptional and rare cases can never be denied.
  • So, my suggestion is to get an x-ray of both sides done or panoramic x-ray done, to find the exact cause. Please send me the x-rays so that I can guide you better.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|