Q. What are the ways to treat wisdom tooth eruption pain?

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Published on Mar 15, 2019

For the last two weeks, my two wisdom teeth on the right side of my face have been coming in. The pain has been incredibly severe and is almost unbearable at this point. I have been experiencing headaches and tenderness pain in my neck, jaw, and gums. I have trouble moving my jaw and speaking at times due to the pain. My teeth have become extremely sensitive to hot or cold items, my teeth are so sore that I struggle to chew food since my molars cannot touch without resulting in an incredible amount of pain. I do not have any swelling in my jaw or neck aside from my gums. I have been taking as much Advil as is safe in a day and some CBD oil as well. However, nothing seems to be helping. I am really worried that I have an infection and how long I should wait before going to an emergency room.

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentistry
#

I can understand this pain. It is like erupting pressure pain caused at every 2 to 3 months interval. Since you are done with Advil (Ibuprofen) and it is not going away. Please start taking the following antibiotic regime as soon as possible. Tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin) 625 mg twice a day, tablet Metronidazole 400 mg twice a day, tablet Brufen 400 mg three times a day. Do a course of all these medicines for 5 to 7 days. An infection will subside through it and hopefully, you will be at peace for a month. You can repeat this course every two months if condition recurs. If the pain does not subside through this course then sure go to an emergency room.

Moreover, do salt water mouth rinses. Take a 1/4th teaspoon of salt in a cup of lukewarm water and do its rinses three times a day. Take mustard oil put a pinch of salt in it, make a paste and apply on swollen areas inside the mouth, at gum line before sleeping. This also helps in reducing swelling. Give me a followup after three days. Stay happy and blessed. Indeed, there comes ease after every difficulty or pain. Take care.

After wisdom tooth removal, a blood clot came out of socket. Will it end up in dry socket?

Query: Hi doctor, Before eight hours, I got my wisdom tooth out. My mouth was filled with blood. Just 30 minutes ago, a small piece like a blood clot came out of my bottom right socket. When I look at my holes in the mirror, they are all filled with dark blood. Can I get a dry socket? Should I need to go b...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since your socket is filled with blood, there is nothing to worry much. Regarding this socket, I cannot assure you without seeing the image. Maintain your oral hygiene and follow the instructions given by your dentist. Do warm salt water gargling after a day and for the...  Read Full

Why are there pain and gum bleeding with wisdom tooth eruption?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a wisdom tooth coming out and my gums are swollen and I am suffering from the pain. When I brush and floss, it bleeds. What is this?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to go to your dentist and get an X-ray done to find out whether the tooth needs to be removed. Wisdom tooth always causes such problems due to lack of space causing infection due to food debris accumulating at the pockets of the gums there. Use warm salt wat...  Read Full

How can I get relief from discomfort caused due to wisdom tooth eruption?

Query: Hello doctor, I am getting wisdom teeth at the back of my mouth. Now I am 22. But I am teething and it feels uncomfortable. What to do to get relief from it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Wisdom tooth eruption will occur periodically. You will feel pain and pressure in months. For relief, you may take tablet Brufen 400 mg twice a day for three days. Put oral gel Clinica (Chlorhexidine with Metronidazole) three to four times a day for a week in that particu...  Read Full