Q. Why is there a foot swelling in a psoriasis patient for past two months?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Sep 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2018

The patient is my mother, age 58, with chronic psoriasis which is under control. She has been having right foot swelling for the past two months. Her left feet is normal. Initial diagnosis at local clinics was an infection and severe arthritis. She was put on anti-inflammatory, antibiotics and antifungal cream. There was some symptomatic relief but the swelling did not resolve. X-ray of her feet was reported mild bone degeneration. Otherwise no other significant pathology. She was admitted to the hospital two weeks ago. FBS, ESR and uric acid were reported as normal. She was put on cryotherapy and physiotherapy. She has been discharged to home now.

Her condition is slightly better but the pain and swelling did not resolve completely. She has a few more cycles of physiotherapy to follow. She remembers spraining her right feet two weeks before the entire episode of the swelling started. As she did not feel any pain or discomfort immediately after the incident, she just ignored the sprain incident. She also had a hysterectomy done two years ago due to calcified fibroids which caused occasional leg swelling at that time. Please advise what has to be done.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have reviewed your health query and can understand how worried you are about your mother.

This seems to be due to the foot sprain she inflicted in the recent past (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She might have caused a damage to the soft tissues of the right foot. She has got swelling of the foot due to local inflammation of the soft tissues of the foot. She should keep up with the physical therapy and cryotherapy as this would assist her to relieve this inflammation. She should also keep taking medications as these medications not only relieve the pain but also inflammation.

She should keep the right leg up while laying down and should not hang the leg down while sitting. This change in leg position would help a lot as this avoids pooling of blood down due to gravity. Pooling of blood leads to more swelling in feet. There is nothing more you need to do in this situation. Just keep up with the cryotherapy and physical therapy. It would take her back to normal life very soon.

Kindly comment on my psoriasis prescription.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from psoriasis in my palm. When I was 12 years old, I had this disease for the first time. After taking some medicines it disappeared. But, it used to come on and off. In the past one year, I have faced this problem quite often. In between, I had homeopathy. As it ca...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your treatment is right. But, do not take Folitrax for long duration (Methotrexate) as it can adversely affect your liver and immunity. Also, if it is limited to palm and soles, then there is no need to take it. Because, Folitrax is meant for use in severe psori...  Read Full

Shall I go with compression wrap for wrist sprain?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a mild sprain while using a punching bag. But, it does not hurt at all in my two days off work. Now I am back to work, on day three since my injury, and it hurts really bad. I am locked in for the next several hours and I can tough it out. Obviously I am going to be doing some h...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Better late than never. Go for compression wrap (active type or elastic wrist splint). Rest your wrist. If pain does not go down or increase in spite of all the measures and medication in two to four weeks then go for MRI wrist. Do specify your complaints more elabora...  Read Full

General Management of Difficult Psoriasis

Article Overview: Here, I have discussed about the general management of difficult psoriasis and the prevention of its exacerbation. Read Article

Psoriasis is a chronic genetically influenced immunologically based inflammatory disease of skin and joints. A majority of patients can be managed with topical coal tar, Dithranol and corticosteroids. However, psoriasis has a tendency to recur and may become worse. Moderate to severe psoriasis defin...  Read Article