Q. Shall I go with compression wrap for wrist sprain?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2019

I had a mild sprain while using a punching bag. But, it does not hurt at all in my two days off work. Now I am back to work, on day three since my injury, and it hurts really bad. I am locked in for the next several hours and I can tough it out. Obviously I am going to be doing some hot treatment.

Is it too late in the game for a compression wrap?

Will that help with the irritation from small movements?

Please guide.

#

Better late than never. Go for compression wrap (active type or elastic wrist splint).

Rest your wrist. If pain does not go down or increase in spite of all the measures and medication in two to four weeks then go for MRI wrist.

Do specify your complaints more elaborately as mentioned below:

• Do specify if the pain is in right or left wrist. Is there any swelling?
  • Do you have any point tenderness or local rise in temperature?
  • Do you have any bruising or specific movements that increase the pain?

Sports injury.

MRI wrist.

1. Tendinitis.
2. Tenosynovitis (inflammation as well as swelling of a tendon).
3. Bursitis.
4. Hair line fractures.
5. Arthritis.

Ligament sprain.

1. Rest.
2. Cryotherapy or ice packs.
3. Compression wraps.
4. Elastic bandage.
5. Pain therapy with tablet Paracetamol 650 mg thrice a day if not relieved local colonial spray and systemic medication with tablet Aceclofenac taken twice daily.
4. Joint immobilization.

Avoid physical exertion and all activities that exacerbate pain for two weeks.

Revert back with the asked details and the MRI wrist to an general medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|