Q. My face is swollen. Shall I visit ER or a doctor?

Dr. Philip Shenouda

In the left side of my face right in front of the ear and around the lower back of my ear is swollen. I had a sore throat a few days before, and I have been coughing hard with lots of mucus. I had also swollen a teary, red, and slightly painful left eye, which started, a week before. What is this? Shall I go to the ER or doctor for my swollen face? I already consulted a doctor two days before the swelling and under antibiotics.

#

There are multiple reasons for what you suffer from, and your case could be one of them. First, that could be part of the illness, which is acute upper respiratory tract Infection (viral or bacterial, usually viral comes with such symptoms). The swelling could be as part of the disease as well which is swollen lymph nodes located around the ear and nothing to worry about as it is part of the infection that can be confirmed by neck ultrasound scan in all circumstances. I suggest you move to the emergency room for further evaluation and clinical examination.

Acute URTI (urinary tract infection), reactionary lymphadenitis.

Consult the emergency room for further evaluation.

|