Q. Can kidney get affected in a diabetic patient?

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2019

This is about my elder sister who is 37 years old. She is diabetic since 4 years. I have attached the report and prescription of the same. Please check and give suggestion. Now she is suffering from swollen face. Is there any problem in kidney due to high sugar level?

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

Thanks for the query to this platform.

Your sister is a known case of hypothyroidism with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes mellitus. Her sugar is constantly raised throughout the last 5-6 months as shown in the reports. She is on oral diabetic drugs and her blood sugar is not controlled.

According to me, she needs to be started on insulin. Insulin is just the replacement for the insulin in the body which our body is unable to make.She is overweight which needs to be looked into. She needs to reduce her weight gradually by going for walk, avoiding lifts, avoid fatty foods, rice and chicken or mutton.

As far as her kidneys are concerned, her creatinine and urea are within normal range. Her urine microalbumin is raised which points towards heart and kidney function. She needs to be started on statins after consulting her physician. Kidneys get affected in diabetic patients. Keep repeating her creatinine regularly which will show her kidney function. For now she is on diuretics which will subside her swelling in face.

Diabetes.

1. High density lipoprotein (HDL).
2. Low -density lipoprotein (LDL).
3. Very low density lipoprotein (VLDL).
4. Cholesterol.
5. Fundus examination.
6. Two-dimensional echocardiogram (2D echo).

Diabetes mellitus with hypothyroidism.

Start on insulin with statins.

1. Avoid fatty foods, rice, chicken and mutton.
2. Start regular walking and avoid lifts.

What is Ecosprin AV 75 used for?

Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes, my father used to get chest pain. Angiography showed that he has a LAD bridging and vessels are normal and clear. His echo is normal. His BP, blood sugar and cholesterol are normal. After the chest pain, he was given the following medicines for one year. They are Stator, Is...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted all details of your father. A myocardial bridge means that a group of muscle fibers are present on the top of coronary artery instead of on the bottom. In almost 40% cases, it is asymptomatic. However, in some patient the bunch of muscles pushes the coronary ...  Read Full

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full >>

Dr. Omnath Alvoor
Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the data your weight is too high for an individual. You need to rebuild your lifestyle by giving time to exercise and yogic techniques. Especially fast rounds of suryanamaskara will help you with your problems. Start slowly and day by day increase the speed of prac...  Read Full

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please be advised that a normal ECG while you do not have the palpitation feeling, is not diagnostic of the palpitation. You need to have a cardiac monitor. If the palpitation happens every day, then a 24 hours cardiac monitor should pick them up. If they happen every 2...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now