Q. Can kidney get affected in a diabetic patient?

Dr. Ankush Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2019

This is about my elder sister who is 37 years old. She is diabetic since 4 years. I have attached the report and prescription of the same. Please check and give suggestion. Now she is suffering from swollen face. Is there any problem in kidney due to high sugar level?

#

Thanks for the query to this platform.

Your sister is a known case of hypothyroidism with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes mellitus. Her sugar is constantly raised throughout the last 5-6 months as shown in the reports. She is on oral diabetic drugs and her blood sugar is not controlled.

According to me, she needs to be started on insulin. Insulin is just the replacement for the insulin in the body which our body is unable to make.She is overweight which needs to be looked into. She needs to reduce her weight gradually by going for walk, avoiding lifts, avoid fatty foods, rice and chicken or mutton.

As far as her kidneys are concerned, her creatinine and urea are within normal range. Her urine microalbumin is raised which points towards heart and kidney function. She needs to be started on statins after consulting her physician. Kidneys get affected in diabetic patients. Keep repeating her creatinine regularly which will show her kidney function. For now she is on diuretics which will subside her swelling in face.

Diabetes.

1. High density lipoprotein (HDL).
2. Low -density lipoprotein (LDL).
3. Very low density lipoprotein (VLDL).
4. Cholesterol.
5. Fundus examination.
6. Two-dimensional echocardiogram (2D echo).

Diabetes mellitus with hypothyroidism.

Start on insulin with statins.

1. Avoid fatty foods, rice, chicken and mutton.
2. Start regular walking and avoid lifts.

|