Q. My son has swelling on face. Is that due to teething or allergy?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

My son is 17 months old. He has a swollen upper lip on the inside of his mouth. It is not pus filled, just swollen. Both cheeks are puffed up because of the swelling. The swelling started overnight. Also, he has a fever. One side of the molar came out. Is this because of teething or an allergic reaction?

#

• Swelling of upper lip, puffiness of cheeks and sudden onset of fever suggest more like an allergic reaction (angioedema).

I will be glad if I have the following information.

• Have you noted any breathing difficulty or noisy breathing and any skin rashes?
  • Did this happen following any particular food intake or any contact with material for the first time or any medication? Has it happened earlier?
  • It will be better, if you could send a picture.
  • My suggestion is that if he has any difficulty breathing and abdomen pain, then please see your pediatrician as early as possible. He may need anti-allergic medications if it fits with an allergy on evaluation.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

There are no breathing issues and no rashes too. He had nothing different, except a gulab jamun last night. He got his hands on my cigarettes the day before yesterday and bit into one, but we caught him immediately and washed his mouth out. This is the first time this has happened to him. Sorry doctor, it is difficult to get him open his mouth enough to get a picture.

#

Thank you very much for the information.

• It does not seem like allergy, though it cannot be ruled out.
  • It is more like a local problem. If it is still persisting or has increased, please ask your family pediatrician to have a look at it and take it from there.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

This morning I have noticed swelling on one side of his face and he is not in pain. Could this be because of a new molar? It looks as if one tooth started to pop out.

#

• Yes, it is a possibility when it is only on one side of the face. But, unlikely to occur if it is a normal eruption unless the tooth is impacted or there is some infection.
  • Then, he will develop some pain and fever. But, it is very difficult and not a right one to comment without having seen it.
  • I recommend you to see your pediatrician if he develops pain or fever. Your pediatrician will ask you to see a dentist if there is impacted or infected tooth.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|