Q. My gums are swollen and painful. Will I lose my teeth?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2019

I am worried because my gum has been swollen and I was in on and off pain on the left side of my jaw after a filling two weeks ago. Before that two months ago, I had a crown lengthening, and I was supposed to get a crown, but the dentist two weeks ago said it is best to do a filling. Now I have what looks like a pocket or inflammation around the tooth that was placed with a filling.

I saw that dentist today to get it checked, and she said it is the gum inflamed, and that I might need to lose the tooth or see the periodontist who might be able to fix it if it does not heal in a week. In that week, she told me to use mouthwash every day, floss extra diligently, and clean the area. Will this help, or am I in significant risk of losing the teeth? If I have to see the periodontist who did the crown lengthening, what would they do?

#

There are two conditions with your teeth, and it might be only due to overhanging filling or due to a pocket surrounding the affected tooth. In that case, you should go to the periodontist first, he will clean the area and give you a better idea of what is happening around the tooth. In the worst cases, it may happen that you will have to get your filling removed and get that tooth root canal treated. But all of this can be clear only after an X-ray. For now, warm water and salt rinse is a good option, no doubt but go to your periodontist as soon as possible.

How to treat my front tooth that is loose and crooked?

Query: Hi doctor, My front tooth is going to fall out. It is very crooked and loose for about four to five years. Then, I started to have anxiety, and I am grinding my teeth bad. It got looser and looser for the past couple of years. Now, I have deep, sharp pains in my gums on that side. It hurts me a lot...  Read Full »

Gums feel irritated after a recent cleaning. How to manage it?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently got my teeth cleaned with a water jet type cleaning, by a new hygienist. A few days later, my bottom front gums felt irritated. I took a look, and one gum looked as if it had been cut down toward root about 3 mm below the normal gum line like it was a mistake. I used a peroxi...  Read Full »

What medicine can be used to relieve gum pain after scaling?

Query: Hello doctor, My younger brother aged 18 years, is having teeth bleeding from a month. So I suggested him to consult a dentist and he went for it. As no one was there to guide him about what to do, he got into a trap by some brokers and they took him to their doctor. The doctor said it is pyorrhea...  Read Full »