Q. What does the ECG for slow and fast heartbeats show?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
Published on Feb 19, 2019

I need a few of my ECG’s read from my health records. I have chest pain, sharp that spreads across the chest, shortness of breath, rapid or fluttering heartbeat. Extremely low pulse rate to extremely high. At present, I have not been able to get my heart rate below 120 BMP for a few hours.

#

It is not relief of your chest pain only. Diagnosis of your problem and proper treatment has to be started. A beta blocker is effective in lowering fast heart rate but in case of bradycardia, it will further reduce the heart rate. To identify any sinus pause is there or not, Holter monitoring and echocardiography have to be done along with freeT4, T3 and TSH. Sometimes, thyroid function problem may give irregular heartbeat. So, do not worry, do the tests and start treatment accordingly. Attend hospital for the above tests.

Thank you so much.

#

You are most welcome.

I appreciate your time and responses. My main priority for tonight was to have the ECG’s I attached interpreted. Can you please interpret them? I know your time is valuable and I truly appreciate it. Many thanks.

#

You are having cardiac arrhythmias. As you have already mentioned that you have idiopathic cardiomyopathy. To evaluate both the two conditions and plan proper treatment, I already suggested two things. Due to your fast heart rate (tachycardia) and very slow heart rate (bradycardia) which we call tachybrady arrhythmia which may happen in case of an accessory pathway in the heart- Holter monitoring. For idiopathic cardiomyopathy, you may need to do echocardiography to evaluate the detailed heart function. Do not worry. take an appointment of your cardiologists. Always remember you can solve any problem if you remain calm at the time of stressful situation.

What exactly is a right bundle branch block?

Query: Hi doctor, My ECG report says that I have a right bundle branch block. What is it? Does it require attention?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shoaib Javeed Khan
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The heart works on electrical signals/impulses that are sent through a pathway. This finally reaches the side/part of the heart that produces the heartbeat. This pathway is complicated. And when there is any abnormality along this pathway, it can result in a conditio...  Read Full

Can ECG changes occur due to anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetes patient. Recently, I had an ECG done which showed borderline normal sinus arrythmia. Immediately, I had a 2D echo and it showed a normal study. But my blood pressure is not normal. It is around 150/90 and so my doctor advised me to take Betaloc-50. In addition to this, I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to assure you that do not worry as everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns. I appreciate the efforts you put in to upload the case completely along with EKG reports (attachment remo...  Read Full

Is ligament laxity a side effect of Sevoflurane?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old female. My height is 164 cm and weight is 48 kg. I was healthy with fine ligaments. Two years back, I had spine surgery for a herniated disk at the level of L5/S1. Soon after the operation, I got something like sleep myoclonus. The neurologist said that as benign, but ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Myoclonus or muscle twitching is a known side effect of Sevoflurane use, and it is not a serious concern. Sevoflurane does not cause laxity of ligaments. Very common side effects of Sevofluran...  Read Full