Q. In the model for clear aligners, my top teeth flare out at an angle. Is it normal?

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Hi, I just received a 3d model of my teeth for a proposed treatment plan with clear aligners. I used to have braces and the changes I need are very minor. In the finished model, my front top teeth flare out at an angle, where as now they are straight up and down. The orthodontist said they are supposed to flare out, something about matching the angle of the root. I think it looks weird. Are teeth supposed to flare out or be straight up and down? I have a slight underbite and having the teeth flare at an angle makes them clear the bottom row--I thought an underbite was treated differently.

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Dentistry Naturopathy Orthodontist
# Hello,
Welcome to icliniq.Com,
I have gone through your attachments, anteriors are flared up in the model and yes there inclination is increased.
If you are having doubt with that then it is better to have word with your orthodontist.
Definitely if patient concern is not there then orthodontist have to see for alternative.
The proposed treatment planning and visual models are for that only that patient should know first and he should be satisfied with future results.
As for giving any alternative treatment one should know the history of braces, treatment planning of conventional braces and one should have to check patient clinically.
And about the crown and root angle_ Orthodontist might be talking about a collum angle and it is more in class II div 2 cases means where central Incisors are retroclined (crown is almost straight or backward placement in layterm).

For any further help you are welcome.

|