Q. In the model for clear aligners, my top teeth flare out at an angle. Is it normal?

Dr. Disha Kandi Yermal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 05, 2021

I got a 3D model of my teeth for the proposed treatment plan with clear aligners. I use braces and I need minor changes. In the finished model, my front teeth seem to be flared out at an angle. But now they are straight up and down. The orthodontist told me that they are supposed to be flared out to match the angle of the root. It looks weird. Are these teeth supposed to be flared out or it should be straight up and down? I have a slight underbite and my teeth seem to be flared at an angle and it makes a clear bottom row. I thought that underbite was treated differently.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Anterior teeth look flared up in the model and there is increased inclination. If you have a doubt, then it is better to inform a word to your orthodontist. If the patient is not satisfied, then the orthodontist needs to see an alternative option. The proposed treatment planning and visual models should satisfy the patient's needs. The orthodontist should satisfy the future results. To provide an alternative treatment, he should know the history of braces, treatment planning of conventional braces, and clinical examination is needed. Regarding crown and root angle, the orthodontist describes the collum angle and it is more in class II division 2 cases where the central incisors are retroclined. The crown seems to be straight or with backward placement.

| 
1 out of 1 likes