Q. What are the chances of infection in a broken discolored tooth?

Dr. Sneha Narendeepak

I have a discolored broken tooth with a hole. Is there any way I could have an infection, there is no pain in the area, and I can feel the tooth when I press with my tongue.

#

I have read through your concern. I assume all your concerns are based on one tooth. Two scenarios are happening there.

1) The nerve of that tooth might be dead, which is the reason for not feeling any pain and causing discoloration in the same.

2) The nerve is undamaged, and the hole is small with external stains (which causes the discoloration).I would advise you to see a dentist physically and take an X-ray of that tooth, which helps in better diagnosis of the situation. If the nerve is alive and the discoloration is because of the stains, you may need to have a cleaning and fill the hole with dental fillings. If the nerve is dead, you may need a root canal treatment with a crown or filling done.

|