Q. What are the chances of infection in a broken discolored tooth?

Dr. Sneha Narendeepak
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 09, 2019

I have a discolored broken tooth with a hole. Is there any way I could have an infection, there is no pain in the area, and I can feel the tooth when I press with my tongue.

#

I have read through your concern. I assume all your concerns are based on one tooth. Two scenarios are happening there.

1) The nerve of that tooth might be dead, which is the reason for not feeling any pain and causing discoloration in the same.

2) The nerve is undamaged, and the hole is small with external stains (which causes the discoloration).I would advise you to see a dentist physically and take an X-ray of that tooth, which helps in better diagnosis of the situation. If the nerve is alive and the discoloration is because of the stains, you may need to have a cleaning and fill the hole with dental fillings. If the nerve is dead, you may need a root canal treatment with a crown or filling done.

How to remove yellow stains from teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow discoloration on my teeth. The stains persist even after getting my teeth cleaned. The nearby dentist informed that the stains are due to chlorine content in the water. What should I do to remove these stains?  Read Full »

A sudden toothache started last night.What could have caused this?

Query: Hello doctor, A sudden toothache started last night in the front left tooth. It is really painful this morning. The pain is constant. I have attached a picture of the affected tooth. What could have caused this?  Read Full »

My root canal filling came out. Pease help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal done for a tooth, a couple of months ago. My crown came out 8 days back. I did not go back to the dentist, but now a screw came out my tooth. What does this mean? When should I visit a dentist?  Read Full »