Q. I still have lot of pain a day after sedative filling. Is this normal?

Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Nov 15, 2019

I got a sedative filling done after a filling that was done a week ago became very painful. A day after the sedative filling, I am still experiencing a lot of pain. Is this normal? When should I consider going back to the dentist?

#

I have gone through your issue. Since you have pain after sedative/temporary filling, this indicates the tooth is either non-vital or the cavity has reached the pulp (blood supply of tooth).

So, kindly visit the dentist, take an X-ray (intraoral periapical radiograph) of the tooth. Get the filling removed and get root canal treatment done. You can take antibiotics too based on the X-ray and clinical findings, which will be prescribed by your dentist. Once the canals are exposed and the compression from the filling is removed, the pain will be relieved.

If you have an X-ray, send that along with a photo of the tooth to guide you better. Also, we need to check whether the pain is from somewhere else or due to food lodgement between teeth or gum pain and treatment will vary accordingly. If the cause is that filled tooth, then removal of filling and root canal treatment will help.

Do not worry, you will be fine. Take care.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Can calcium hydroxide cause toothache while root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a crown in one of my teeth on the lower left bottom. The crown came off. I went to the dentist who suggested root canal even when I did not have any problem. The root canal was completed and the crown was placed. After a few days, my teeth used to pain only on consuming hot wate...  Read Full »

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »