Q. A year ago my root canal filling fell off. How bad can it be now?

Dr. Shwetha Hegde
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

I had a root canal and the filling fell off. I am too afraid of dentists. Hence, I did not go back to get a permanent filling. How bad can it be now? It has been a year. What to do?

#

• Let me start by telling you that if you have been to the dentist and sat through the root canal procedure then getting a filling should be a cake walk.
  • Without a filling covering a root canal filled tooth, either the root canal will fail or the tooth might just breakdown. That is because a root canal filled tooth becomes brittle over time and having a filling gives it some strength. So, it is important that you get the tooth examined and filled as soon as possible.
  • Let me also tell you that you could talk about your fear of dental treatment with your dentist and he or she could help you overcome those fears.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

Can deep filling close to nerve cause sensitivity?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently broke a part of my back tooth besides an old filling. A week ago, my dentist removed the old filling and repaired everything with white filling. Since then, I have been getting a sharp pinch to the center of my tooth if I try to chew with it. There is no pain. It is a little se...  Read Full »

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »