Temporary Filling

Is severe pain after getting a sedative filling normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a sedative filling done after a filling that was done a week ago became very painful. A day after the sedative filling, I am still experiencing a lot of pain. Is this normal? When should I consider going back to the dentist?  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Banu M

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your issue. Since you have pain after sedative/temporary filling, this indicates the tooth is either non-vital or the cavity has reached the pulp (blood supply of tooth). So, kindly visit the dentist, take an X-ray (intraoral periapical radiograp...  Read Full »

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full »

How is a cracked molar treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a cracked molar tooth. My dentist drilled it down and put on a temporary. We waited for a week and the temporary hurt. He decided that I need crown lengthening, which I had done. I went back to the dentist after it healed for three weeks and had an impression for a crown. He had to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. A cracked tooth can be root canal treated depending on the direction of the crack within the tooth especially if it involves the vital part of the tooth called the pulp. The pulp is the vital part. When it is in...  Read Full »

Why is there a whole in my temporary crown?

Query: Hi doctor, My upper incisor has a fracture. So, I had a¬†temporary crown and then a couple weeks later I had a root canal completed. And today, I had my crown lengthening done to prepare for the permanent crown. My dentist mentioned to me that I would feel a hole in the back of my tooth, which I do....  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The whole procedure you described is pretty standard and usually expected. During root canal treatment, till it is completed a temporary filling is placed in the hole. This hole on the back of the tooth is where the root canal treatment is done from. However...  Read Full »

My root canal filling fell out. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I had a root canal and the filling fell off. I am too afraid of dentists. Hence, I did not go back to get a permanent filling. How bad can it be now? It has been a year. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Shwetha Hegde

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me start by telling you that if you have been to the dentist and sat through the root canal procedure then getting a filling should be a cake walk. Without a filling covering a root canal filled tooth, either the root canal will fail or the tooth might just b...  Read Full »

Can deep filling close to nerve cause sensitivity?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently broke a part of my back tooth besides an old filling. A week ago, my dentist removed the old filling and repaired everything with white filling. Since then, I have been getting a sharp pinch to the center of my tooth if I try to chew with it. There is no pain. It is a little se...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The sensitivity is indeed due to deep filling very close to the nerve for comfort. Usually, if it is very deep some dentists put a base below the permanent filling to prevent temperature difference inside the mouth to transfer it to the nerve. If it is not possible, th...  Read Full »

Can my tooth cavity be cured by filling?

Query: Hi doctor, I got my dental checkup done recently. A small cavity was observed on the side of my tooth between 2 teeth. I am attaching a photo of x-ray. Please check second upper tooth from left in the x-ray. Also let me know, if this can be cured by filling?  Read Full »

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I checked the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) Yes, this can be cured by restoration.  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get root canal treatment done for tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in one of the gums near one of the upper teeth. When after eating or having something hot or cold, I feel sensitive and after that, I get pain for some time but the pain goes away automatically. I have gone to one of the dentists and she suggested me to get a root canal tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have pain after eating cold or hot, it mostly means that the nerves inside are infected. It has to be root canal treated. If you are so sure that it can be saved and want to try something else, ask a dentist to just clean the cavity and fill it with a temporar...  Read Full »

I have pain after temporary filling during RCT. Is it normal?

Query: Hi doctor, In root canal treatment, even after temporary filling, pain is still present. If something touches the tooth, there is extreme pain. Is it normal or do I need to get the tooth removed?  Read Full »

Dr. Subha

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Root canal treatment involves three main steps namely: Access opening (opening of the root canal). Biomechanical preparation (cleaning and shaping the canal). Obturation (filling the canal). Temporary filling which you mean is just the superficial one. Pain may ...  Read Full »

How to repair a fractured tooth filling?

Query: Hi doctor, I have lost a filling present on my bottom left tooth next to my wisdom tooth. Some portion of the tooth has broken away. I do not have pain in that tooth now. Is it right to have a new filling on that tooth or can I have a dental crown on that tooth? Is it possible to have a crown on th...  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A filling can be placed again, and the tooth is contoured correctly. A composite can be used to build the tooth and then the tooth can be contoured adequately. Then a crown can be placed. If the tooth is not broken much, then a cutting can be done, and a crown can be pl...  Read Full »