Q. I feel a hole in the tooth after root canal treatment. Should I worry about infection?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

My upper incisor has a fracture. So, I had a temporary crown and then a couple weeks later I had a root canal completed. And today, I had my crown lengthening done to prepare for the permanent crown. My dentist mentioned to me that I would feel a hole in the back of my tooth, which I do. And that it would even heal over. But, what does that mean? And how long does it take? I am worried about food particles, etc., getting in there and infecting the area. I was given mouth rinse, T3 and Ibuprofen 600 mg. I would like to know if this is all normal. Should I be worried about infection of the hole?

#

• The whole procedure you described is pretty standard and usually expected.
  • During root canal treatment, till it is completed a temporary filling is placed in the hole. This hole on the back of the tooth is where the root canal treatment is done from.
  • However, normally before the crown cutting for a permanent cap, it is filled with permanent cement.
  • The hole does not heal by itself. A filling is placed in it. If your root canal is completed, then there is nothing to worry about infection.
  • If your root canal is not completed, then the infection of any will get cleared out of it.
  • The food particles getting stuck do not cause infection per se.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|