Q. Please explain if my teeth pressure and pain are due to TMJ problem.

I had fillings done around two months ago. Two of my teeth with fillings started to hurt three days ago. Also, I had pain in my ears. However, I also had pressure and crackling going on in my both ears. I have had issues going on with my ears for a while, I have been on a decongestant from an ENT doctor and might need to have tubes placed. I also have TMJ problem. I am not sure if my ears are causing the pain in my teeth or vice versa. But, after increasing the dosage of the mucus D medication, it subsided the pain. The teeth pain was much better today. I have more fullness in my ears, and my jaw hurts. I feel pressure on both sides of my teeth. I used to have a mouthguard made by my dentist. After my wisdom teeth removal, other teeth got shifted, and the mouthguard does not fit any longer.

Dr.Geeth Sadasivam
BDS., CERTIFICATE IN AESTHETIC DENTISTRY
Dentistry

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details.

• You have mentioned that you are better after being under the medication Mucus D (pseudoephedrine). This is a nasal decongestant used for sinus infections and cold.
  • With this, I suspect that you have got sinusitis problem because of which you feel pain in the tooth area especially it should be in the upper back tooth region.
  • Pain and crackling sound in the ears are symptoms of TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorders. If you get joint pain during early mornings as soon as you wake up, then it is definitely due to TMJ.
  • A mouthguard will be the only solution at early stages. It is better to have one fabricated from the dentist as soon as possible.
  • Overall, your tooth pressure and pain are just referred pain due to sinusitis and TMJ problems. Once these two things are sorted out, then you will get rid of the dental pain.

• Investigations to be done:

X-ray for TMJ if required.

• Treatment plan:

Fabrication of mouthguard.

• Preventive measures:

Avoid chewing on one side and biting hard food such as apple and guava. Instead, cut them into small pieces and chew it on comfortably.
    Follow up every four months with regards to the mouth guard.

• Regarding follow up:

For further information consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

•  

Ask a Dentist »
    * expert medical advice guaranteed.

Ask Your Question »
    * expert medical advice guaranteed.