Q. Please explain if my teeth pressure and pain are due to TMJ problem.

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Feb 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had fillings done around two months ago. Two of my teeth with fillings started to hurt three days ago. Also, I had pain in my ears. However, I also had pressure and crackling going on in my both ears. I have had issues going on with my ears for a while, I have been on a decongestant from an ENT doctor and might need to have tubes placed. I also have TMJ problem. I am not sure if my ears are causing the pain in my teeth or vice versa. But, after increasing the dosage of the mucus D medication, it subsided the pain. The teeth pain was much better today. I have more fullness in my ears, and my jaw hurts. I feel pressure on both sides of my teeth. I used to have a mouthguard made by my dentist. After my wisdom teeth removal, other teeth got shifted, and the mouthguard does not fit any longer.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details.

• You have mentioned that you are better after being under the medication Mucus D (pseudoephedrine). This is a nasal decongestant used for sinus infections and cold.
  • With this, I suspect that you have got sinusitis problem because of which you feel pain in the tooth area especially it should be in the upper back tooth region.
  • Pain and crackling sound in the ears are symptoms of TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorders. If you get joint pain during early mornings as soon as you wake up, then it is definitely due to TMJ.
  • A mouthguard will be the only solution at early stages. It is better to have one fabricated from the dentist as soon as possible.
  • Overall, your tooth pressure and pain are just referred pain due to sinusitis and TMJ problems. Once these two things are sorted out, then you will get rid of the dental pain.

X-ray for TMJ if required.

Fabrication of mouthguard.

Avoid chewing on one side and biting hard food such as apple and guava. Instead, cut them into small pieces and chew it on comfortably.
Follow up every four months with regards to the mouth guard.

For further information consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Should I get graft for gum recession?

Query: Hi doctor, I have gum recession due to bruxism and aggressive brushing. None of my gum measurements are over 3. Should I get a gum graft now or should I wait?  Read Full »

What is the cause for Testicular Pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been facing testicular pain since last few days. What could be the cause?  Read Full »

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full »