Q. I was diagnosed with tension headaches, but could my headache be due to some other disease?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 12, 2021

Last week, I went to a hospital to know the cause. Before going to the hospital, I had some symptoms for three days. I searched online about the symptoms and I got a diagnosis of migraine online. But my doctor checked me and told me that I have a tension headache. He gave me two medications Orphenadrine Citrate and Paracetamol for my headache and Benadryl for my night sleeping pattern issue. I took these medicines for three days now. These medicines are not enough for dealing with my headache and sleeping pattern issues. On day one, after having a checkup and I went home. I ate food and it triggered my migraine. I also took some medications as prescribed every six hours. It triggered to a point where I slept with pain. I waked up in the evening around 8:30 pm.

After eating some food, I took my medications. It took two hours to have some sleep. After sleeping for two hours, I waked up again at 2 am and after that, I cannot sleep again. I had fatigue in my whole body and a mild headache different from the previous headache. I spend the whole night with a feeling of nervousness and confusion. On day two, I felt better at 6 am and I tried to eat some food. So I took my medications around 9 am. After taking it, I had a mild headache and so I went to bed for sleeping. I waked up around 6 pm, I felt hungry and it caused a headache again. After eating, I took some medicines at 9 pm. I felt sleepy at 11:00 pm and it caused stress in me again. I felt so hot outside my body and inside my stomach. After that, I tried to make myself busy to eliminate stress.

I tried watching drama. I know that it also triggers me. I spent the whole night watching the drama from 3 am to 8 am. On day three, I was fine and I tried to ride my bike to have some exercise to my body and to make up my sleep pattern normal. So I ate my food before riding my bike. I felt normal compared to other days. I stopped doing exercise at 10 am. I took a bath. After that, I started to watch drama again from 11 am. I do not know why my stomach seems to be full. So I continued watching until 2:30 pm.

I took my lunch even I still felt full. I did not take my medicines. I do not have a headache but I felt some burning sensation in my stomach. I searched online and it showed me a result of a stomach burn. I want to know whether it is just a tension headache or any other disease. I have seen some information online about migraine presenting along with stomach burn and acid reflux. They are referred to as gastric headaches. What to do now?

#

There are some differences present between migraine and tension-type headache. Migraine pain occurs as a throbbing one and many people having slight exertion like walking up a flight of stairs can worsen the pain. In contrast, the pain associated with tension-type headache tends to be more chronic and steady. In migraines, the affected person can feel an aura. This means a person knows that he or she is going to have a headache. You have not provided such details and so based on your history, it looks like a tension headache.

|