Q. MRI brain suggest internal carotid and basilar arteries demonstrate flow voids. Please explain.

Dr. Mohammed Shah Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 29, 2020

The internal carotid and basilar arteries demonstrate flow voids, implying gross patency. Can you please explain this finding from an MRI done on my brain?

MRI brain without contrast study result impressions:

No intracranial abnormality.

Sinusitis narrative provided reason for exam:

Migraines additional history: 31-year-old female, Technique: Nonenhanced high field brain MRI, consisting of sagittal and axial T1 and axial T2, flair and diffusion weighted sequences. No previous exams available for comparison findings. No intracranial hemorrhage mass or extra-axial fluid collection is apparent. No infarction, ischemic change or demyelinating process is observed. Ventricular size is normal. The internal carotid and basilar arteries demonstrate flow voids, implying gross patency. The right maxillary sinus is approximately one third opacified and may contain viscous fluid. The right sphenoid sinus is approximately one half opacified and may also contain fluid. In the proper clinical setting, sinus fluid could represent acute sinusitis. Scattered sinus inflammation is apparent elsewhere.

Dr. Mohammed Shah Alam

General Practitioner Radiodiagnosis
#

After carefully reading your provided report of MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) detailed explanation is provided below.

You have no abnormalities present in the brain parenchyma or brain vessels which could explain your long term migraine. However, your sinuses (sinus normally present nearby the nose both side, back and top of nose) (right maxillary and right sphenoid sinus) have some pathology present (infections) which probably the reason behind your recurrent migraine. If you have dicom images with you share with me.

For the sinuses infection, it is recommended to take an appointment from an ENT specialist. He will run some test and culture of the fluid and prescribe the suitable medicine for you.

|