Q. Will increased height and weight cause changes in testosterone levels?

Dr. Nasir
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2021

I am a 21-year-old male. When I was at the age of 11, I had an accident where boiling water fell on my lower body. After a year, I started gaining weight, gynecomastia, and other problems related to puberty. At the age of 15, I consulted an endocrinologist and he checked my testosterone levels. It was low and he told me to wait till 18 years of age. When I reached 17 years of age, I had rapid growth in my height. My voice got deep when I was 18 years. I do not have facial hair but I have pubic hair and my hips are wide. I have breast tissue and my head remains small when compared to my body. I am the tallest body in my family. Everyone in my family remains around five feet four inches and I am in a height of five feet eleven inches. What is the problem? Why my head remains small? I am not having good testosterone levels. I checked my testosterone levels and it remains around 349 ng/dL.

#

I understand your concern. In our body, testosterone produced is converted to estrogen in the peripheral parts of the body in certain locations. This estrogen can give rise to breast tissue, less facial hair, and other problems. But it happens in a controlled manner in some people. In others, there can be problems existing in the aromatase enzyme that is responsible for conversion. You have an imbalance of aromatase enzyme, resulting in forming excess estrogen from your normal testosterone. Kindly send me the reports and so I can guide you better.

Do not require anything to be done now.

It can be decided after seeing your reports.

|