Q. Despite DPT vaccine, is tetanus injection a must?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2019

My daughter aged 6 years got a cut and scratch in her body while playing in a new cementing wall from a piece of old and unused iron four days ago. Does she require any toxoid injection?

#

I can understand your concerns.

Since you are sure that the scratch is from an old iron piece, I think you should give tetanus injection to the child. I hope this will help you.

She has been taking DPT vaccine. Will it suffice? If still required, then within how many days should it get administered?

#

There are different criteria for each kind of wound. In severe wounds, tetanus injection should be given even if given a few days back. In simple scratches or wounds, immunity is present for one year. But, it is always safe to give a tetanus injection.

In your case, the DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus) vaccine must have been given more than one year back. So, it is highly recommended to give a tetanus injection. It should be given as early as possible.

What will be the dose? Actually I want to administer it OTC, so please let me know is the dosage same as adults?

#

• Your child requires a dose of 0.5 ml dose of tetanus intramuscularly.

For further queries consult a child specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

Well, but doctor says that it should have been taken within 24 hours. If taken now it would be worthless. Actually the affected area was fully covered with her dress (not torn). So, risk factor may be very less. Am I correct? Last 2nd booster dose was taken few months back. Hence, doctor said it is not so essential.

#

Tetanus injection should be given within 72 hours. Earlier you have said that you are very sure that scratch is due to iron. There is no risk in giving tetanus injection. I mean why to take the risk if you are not sure. In my opinion, you should give a tetanus injection.

|