Q. What can be done for high ferritin levels in thalassemia major patient with factor 13 deficiency?

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda

I am thalassemia major with factor XIII decficiency, HCV+. I transfuse platelet or FFp daily and RCC weekly. All these things are reacting in my body. My ferritin level is 15000 after chelation therapy. This also reacts badly every time. I am 28 years old. How much time do I have to live more?

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

The serum ferritin level of 15000 is definitely too high. Along with HCV, the prognosis is somewhat poor. However, without knowing the amount of iron deposition in tissues like the liver, heart, etc, and also the amount of damage to liver secondary to HCV infection, it is difficult to say anything. If all are functioning well, then 5 to 10 years should be easily managed well with therapy. Need to reduce ferritin levels, improve nutrition with protein rich diet and need to have a positive outlook. Liver biopsy for serum iron and amount of damage based on liver function tests and histopathology examination could be helpful in further management.

|