Q. I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?

Dr. Kakkar

I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for HIV yesterday and it came as non-reactive. Do I need to test again for STD? Could you please help me with this?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Receiving unprotected oral sex though much less of a risk as compared to unprotected vaginal or anal sex, is still not entirely safe. There is a possibility of acquiring herpes simplex infection, gonorrhea and chlamydia through oral sex though HIV has a negligible risk unless the person performing oral sex has oral sores or bleeding gums.

As far as testing is concerned HIV has been convincingly ruled out in you at six weeks. Even CDC says a negative HIV combo test (antibody and P24 antigen test) is conclusive at six weeks.

Though your HSV, IgG, and IgM are negative at six weeks a 12 to 16-week negative HSV, IgG would be more reliable as IgG may sometimes appear later. A negative IgM is not very reliable in ruling out HSV as it is short lasting even though it appears quite early.

Chlamydia has been adequately ruled out. Gonorrhea is mostly symptomatic in males. So, if you still do not have any symptoms of gonococcal urethritis like pus discharge from the urethra and burning on micturition, it suggests that you do not have gonorrhea.

So to summarize, you just need to repeat HSV IgG at 12 to 16 weeks. Rest all the STDs have been ruled out.

HCV (hepatitis C) and HBV (hepatitis B) is not a risk through oral sex. Regards.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Is it possible to have hairy leukoplakia three months after risky sexual activity?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male who discovered this lesion on my tongue by accident while brushing my teeth. It does not come off easily with the toothbrush. Actually, it does not, unless I apply significant force to remove it. It has been a month since I first discovered it and no other symp...  Read Full »

I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full »