Q. I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?

Dr. Kakkar

I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for HIV yesterday and it came as non-reactive. Do I need to test again for STD? Could you please help me with this?

#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Receiving unprotected oral sex though much less of a risk as compared to unprotected vaginal or anal sex, is still not entirely safe. There is a possibility of acquiring herpes simplex infection, gonorrhea and chlamydia through oral sex though HIV has a negligible risk unless the person performing oral sex has oral sores or bleeding gums.

As far as testing is concerned HIV has been convincingly ruled out in you at six weeks. Even CDC says a negative HIV combo test (antibody and P24 antigen test) is conclusive at six weeks.

Though your HSV, IgG, and IgM are negative at six weeks a 12 to 16-week negative HSV, IgG would be more reliable as IgG may sometimes appear later. A negative IgM is not very reliable in ruling out HSV as it is short lasting even though it appears quite early.

Chlamydia has been adequately ruled out. Gonorrhea is mostly symptomatic in males. So, if you still do not have any symptoms of gonococcal urethritis like pus discharge from the urethra and burning on micturition, it suggests that you do not have gonorrhea.

So to summarize, you just need to repeat HSV IgG at 12 to 16 weeks. Rest all the STDs have been ruled out.

HCV (hepatitis C) and HBV (hepatitis B) is not a risk through oral sex. Regards.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|