Q. I have a painless lump in throat at palatoglossal arch. Could it be cancer?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I am a 23-year-old male. I have been feeling a lump in my throat for quite some time now. Upon inspection, I found it is located on the palatoglossal arch on the base of the tongue. It is painless and does not cause any problem while swallowing food or liquid but there is a feeling of irritation sometimes. I quit smoking for four years now and consume alcohol moderately. I have attached the pictures of the lump, I am afraid it is cancerous.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have seen the pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The growth is just a small salivary gland papilla. Your symptoms seem to be due to reflux laryngitis and not due to the growth.

I will be give the treatment for reflux laryngitis but if you have any symptoms like postnasal drip, nose block, or headache in the morning, please revert back.

Treatment for reflux:

1) Avoid spicy and very hot food items and dairy products.

2) Drink plenty of water.

3) Take dinner at least two hours prior to your sleep.

4) Tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) twice daily on an empty stomach for one week.

5) Do not do gargling.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Why do I have chronic throat itching?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female of 32 years old. I have a chronic issue of throat irritation. A year ago, I had taken treatment from the ENT specialist. He told me that everything is fine, but some kind of air obstructs the throat. Unfortunately, I lost the prescription. I have been to doctors here, ...  Read Full »

Biopsy report shows carcinoma of urinary bladder. Please suggest a treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, This is the biopsy test report of my father which we received today. Please suggest what treatment should be done. Clinical findings: Multiple papillary tumors in the bladder. Clinical diagnosis: T.C.C urinary bladder. Tissue forwarded: TURBT. Macroscopy: Gray white tissue bit t...  Read Full »

What does a lump under collar bone on right side mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I consulted two doctors regarding a lump that I could feel above my left collarbone, whenever I strain or turn my neck. Both the doctors said that it was just a prominent tendon, but gave me an ultrasound to ease my mind. The ultrasound said 'there is a 6 by 4 mm hypoechoic nodule in ...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now