Q. I have a painless lump in throat at palatoglossal arch. Could it be cancer?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I am a 23-year-old male. I have been feeling a lump in my throat for quite some time now. Upon inspection, I found it is located on the palatoglossal arch on the base of the tongue. It is painless and does not cause any problem while swallowing food or liquid but there is a feeling of irritation sometimes. I quit smoking for four years now and consume alcohol moderately. I have attached the pictures of the lump, I am afraid it is cancerous.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have seen the pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The growth is just a small salivary gland papilla. Your symptoms seem to be due to reflux laryngitis and not due to the growth.

I will be give the treatment for reflux laryngitis but if you have any symptoms like postnasal drip, nose block, or headache in the morning, please revert back.

Treatment for reflux:

1) Avoid spicy and very hot food items and dairy products.

2) Drink plenty of water.

3) Take dinner at least two hours prior to your sleep.

4) Tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) twice daily on an empty stomach for one week.

5) Do not do gargling.

|